13.3" Samsung NP900X3C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1994F7PT

1994F7PT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    to me it looks like there are 3 usb ports, 1 on left and 2 on right in that pdf and they've moved the headphone jack to the left to accomodate the extra usb on the right!

2. johnsto

johnsto Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sounds like they're using pics of the 15" 900X4.

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I agree. You can download the X3C / X4C user guide from the Samsung download site and it shows that the physical appearance is identical to the X3C / X4C.

Regarding the upgradeable RAM indicated by that French source, the document also says no RAM slots. I interpret the 8GB as being a manufacturing option. However, it is possible that Samsung may cash in on the better efficiency of the Ivy Bridge CPU to remove one fan (in which case a RAM slot would be possible), but using only one fan would either result in more fan noise or throttling of the maximum CPU speed.

John

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    By my measurements, the left hinge appears to be about 0.005 mm longer, suggesting that the display may be a bit heavier, possibly a PLS 1.0001 rather than the original PLS.

I have never seen such astute observations from two faint pictures and an abbreviated spec sheet. The Sony forum has nothing on you guys! :D

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    Yes, I know, I'm quoting myself, but I guess I answered my own question. See laptopmag.com's Ivy Bridge benchmark comparisons to Sandy Bridge, where all of the comparisons I sought in my post, above, are completed, but only on a quad core mobile cpu/gpu, the i7-3620.

Overall conclusions from this test:

1) The cpu and itegrated gpu performance promises (15% and 30% improvement, respectively) are met or exceeded.

2) Some Dirext11x games, like World of Warcraft, can be played, using HD4000, at 47 fps on "good" settings and 29 fps at "high" settings at native display setting of FHD, 1920 x 1080. Other examples showed frame rates roughly doubling at 1366x768 resolution - eg, Batman: Arhkham City 51 fps vs. 25 @FHD.

3) Major disappointment: no improvement in battery live vs. SB quad core cpu. Article in laptopmag says dual core i5 and i7 should show better relative battery life

Second set of benchmarks; just found on notebookcheck.net

6. Triskite

Triskite Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    also if you look at the ports list on the pdf it's clear they are the same as the 3b (so yes, the pic is probably of the 4c)

bc it has a dash next to memory slots i think your assumption is correct that it is 4gB non-upgradeable but a future model/variant will use an 8gb preinstalled module instead.

should i return the 3b, what do you guys think?

it looks like the 4c will have a 400 nit screen - i'm thinking that may be the best bet (4c), so i can have 8gb ram + good screen

7. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A PLS screen is a requirement for my purchase. If they do that and there's still only a $100 difference between the 15" and and the 13.3", the 15" becomes the no brainer in my book. You get another USB port, two SoDIMM slots and better battery life.

Unfortunately we are all in "speculation mode" until someone gets their hands on the new machines and can confirm all of this.

8. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not to mention a screen PPI that my eyes can handle... and dedicated Home and End keys, for extra credit. Throw in a 256GB SSD and we've got the same book. ;)

9. 1994F7PT

1994F7PT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I disagree, if you look closely at the ports on the left side of the X4C and X3C they are in a different order, on the X4C it goes power/USB/Headphone/Micro HDMI/WAN/Microphone and on the X3C from the .pdf file in this thread it looks to be power/USB/WAN??/Headphone/Micro HDMI/Microphone

so theres a definate difference to my eyes...............

10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think there was a coordination failure between brain and fingers in my previous post. What I intended to say was that the port layouts on the X3C / X4C appear to be identical to the X3B / X4B.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.