13.3" Samsung NP900X3C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. belzebutt

belzebutt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well it does add wear, but Samsung designs this thing to last a few years with occasional high CPU loads. If you play Bioshock 24/7 for a long time will probably hit the limit sooner. :)

Obviously not many people buy Ultrabooks to play high-end games on them. I'm sure playing it once in a while for a couple of hours won't hurt. If it does the warranty should take care of it, you're not doing anything wrong by running Windows software on it.

2. pardes3

pardes3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alright, pulled the trigger on Crucial M4 msata 256 GB to replace the POS sandisk u100 in my 900x3c-a02.

Clonezilla sufficient to clone stock to new drive?

3. DuffMcShank

DuffMcShank Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hm, doesn't the x4d feature a subpar screen and build quality (the keyboard at least) ?

4. thewaterboy

thewaterboy Newbie

Reputations:
    I pushed my x3c pretty hard the other day, and now my right fan has a faint rattle that can only be heard when I put my head up to the fan. Otherwise, the laptop runs just as quiet as ever. Is this something to be concerned with? And what could have caused this to happen? I already tried blowing compressed air in there in case there was a foreign object lodged in there, but that didnt seem to be the problem.

Also, when I lightly shake it, the right fan shakes but not the left fan. I think its a little loose. but if I open it, I void my warranty :/

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You might find the answer in this thread. Does Clonezilla offer manual partition resizing control?

The 15" doesn't have the PLS panel so it is sub-par compared with the 13" but is better than most non-IPS displays with no issues such as the "screen-door" effect. In my experience the build and keyboard quality between the two sizes of Series 9 is identical and an advantage of the 15" keyboard is the extra row of dedicated navigation keys.

You only void your warranty if you damage something while removing the base. Samsung don't encourage people to go inside but they don't provide seals to show if the computer has been opened.

John

6. thewaterboy

thewaterboy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmm, it's not too bad right now. I do have a Microsoft Assure warranty on the thing, but I think I'll wait until it gets worse (if it does) to send it in. Even if I did open it, I wouldn't really know what to do. Is fixing a loose fan an easy fix?

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It may not be an easy fix unless a poke with a finger sorts it out, but you may understand the problem better.

John

8. Silvertrack1979

Silvertrack1979 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there... me again! After my upgrade to W8 I’ve noticed something very strange...

Every now and then (maybe 5 times a day) I get this high pitched long electrical squeaking sound. I believe it is when W8 is trying to trigger a sound, due to an error, critical stop, windows start-up sound etc... it's coming from the speakers I believe. The sound is not the same everytime, so sounds like something malfunctioning.

I hadn't had the PC long before upgrading to W8, but never remember hearing this sound in W7. Does this sound like an operating system issue, or something wrong with the built-in speakers? I've also read that it could be something to do with teh kernel? But whenever the noise has occurred there has been nothing process heavy being conducted on the machine.

Note, I've just upgraded to the latest BIOS release that came out this week, I'm on a SanDisk SSD (so shouldn't experience the new issues reported this week). Not sure whether the new BIOS would have anything to do with correcting this weird noise issue, but I'll wait and see over the coming days.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks!

9. charliebird

charliebird Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there! new to the forum. I have just done a clean install of windows 7 home premium on the NP900X3C, and was working through the issues with IRST, which brought me here. Thanks very much to John and the others for thier posts, which helped solve the IRST issue (it works a treat now).

My question today is around defrag settings for the SSD. From what I have read it should be turned off and windows 7 should do that automatically? What steps do i need to complete to esnure this is correctly configured? The drive is the Sandisk U100 128GB. I apologise if this has been covered in the previous (175) pages.

10. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    SSD's don't need to be defragged, ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.