13"-14", Linux > light Windows gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by scruple, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scruple

scruple Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $1300, preferably all said and done

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: I've looked at the MSI GE40, Lenovo Thinkpad T440p, Clevo W230ST, Clevo W740SU,
    b. Dislike: HP, Dell, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Not really.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    I need a mobile linux development environment (currently using an old 1000HA eeepc for this) first and foremost, I also want to be able to do some light Windows gaming (WoW, D3, TF2 -- Nothing bleeding edge here, I have a dekstop for that)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, WoW, D3, TF2

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    >= 4 hrs, would prefer 6-8+ hrs in linux

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'm fine with buying blind.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Linux > Win7 > Win8

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    FHD

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Matte, non-glossy

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not a whole lot, no.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within 0-4 weeks of today.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    Minimum 5 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    My total space requirements aren't really that steep as I don't really require audio/video/picture storage. I was thinking of 1 128GB SSD for my linux partitions and a 750GB for storage, shares between OSes, and Windows. That said, both OSes and the game installs will be the majority of my storage requirements, so maybe I could get by with 1 large SSD or 2 SSD? I haven't done much research in this direction.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No, and I've seen some models like the T400p that only support 1 drive at configure time so if it comes with an optical drive I'd like the capability to get a HDD caddy instead. Installing it myself shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance!

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the T440p is a good choice. Choose the i5/i7 without the 730M for the easiest linux setup. The Intel wifi is supported out of the box on recent kernels.

The Clevo models definitely offer a lot of performance for the price, but it will be very hard to get even four hours of battery life.

scruple likes this.
  3. infzy

infzy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Dell XPS 13 "Developer Edition" comes with Linux (Ubuntu I think?) pre-installed etc. and has a really nice keyboard. Not sure about dual-booting / gaming on it, but check it out.

scruple likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.