<$1200 Gaming Laptop [15.6"][i7][1060]

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Tyler LeMoine, Mar 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler LeMoine

Tyler LeMoine Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Trying to keep it below $1200 - I prefer to use financing

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    Preference at 15.6" but if a good deal I will go with the 17"
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    Not the most familiar with reviews of each brand - open to recommendations!

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No - new only please.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Traveling - majority on a desk.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Want to be able to run most current-gen games. Witcher 3, Fortnite, Far Cry 5, Ark etc etc

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not as important, will probably be on charger while using

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Would like to see it before purchasing

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    Prefer 15.6" but will go with 17" if it's a good deal

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Not the most important, prefer glossy but most laptops in this range only have matte which is okay.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes - I like the style of the MSI stealh books and Razers but know they are out of my budget. I prefer solid builds over curves.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Next couple weeks - willing to wait for deals

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4-5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    I have a SSD in hand so just a 1TB drive would be sufficient.
    18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No

Hope this covers everything. Just looking for a decent gaming laptop within a decent price range.
    Thanks!

2. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Considering that you want to play AAA titles and you expect the laptop to stay relevant for 4-5 years, I'd suggest you get a gtx 1070. CyberpowerPC have a sale where you can grab a laptop with a GTX 1070 for $1265. Link here, more models here

3. Tyler LeMoine

Tyler LeMoine Newbie

Reputations:
    Are the CyberPowerPC laptops trustworthy? I've heard mixed reviews about their laptops.

4. nixliu

nixliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    do you plan upgrade MXM card at future?

5. Tyler LeMoine

Tyler LeMoine Newbie

Reputations:
    I haven't thought of it, considering cost factors... probably not.

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    bad customer service in general

7. Tyler LeMoine

Tyler LeMoine Newbie

Reputations:
    Gotcha, thank you.

Besides using a site like iBUYPOWER or CyberPower (which I'm open to use) I've narrowed it down to three laptops.

Asus - ROG GL502VM - $1099
    i7-7700
    1060 3gb
    12gb ram

Lenovo Y520-15IKBM - Custom configured on their website - $1118
    Processor : Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor (2.8Ghz 6MB)
    Total Memory : 8GB DDR4-2400 (1 SODIMM)
    Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5
    Display : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) LED Backlit, IPS, Anti-Glare display

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-593G-76SS - $1029 on sale until Monday
    GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5
    Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz)
    16 GB Memory
    15.6" 1920 x 1080 Wide viewing angle

8. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally, I'd go with the Acer V15 Nitro becasue it has 6GB of vram instead of 3GB. This will make a difference in a lot of games, especially games like DOOM or GTA V. It has terrible cooling, so I'd suggest undervolting and re-pasting. However, this will void your warranty and you may damage your laptop when repasting. Laptops should work out of the box and you shouldn't have to tweak them.

Becasue of this, I'd suggest that you don't buy any of these laptops and get the Dell Inspiron 7577 with a i7-7700HQ, a GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM and a 128gb ssd + 1TB hdd combo for $1200 available here.

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I was able to pick up a couple of open-box Alienware 17 R4's from Best Buy for me and my wife for $1300 each + tax. They have a 7700HQ and GTX 1070 along with a small SSD and 16GB, so they do quite well running games at 1920x1080 with fast sync enabled. The cooling isn't the best but it can run games without throttling on stock paste, and repasting is an option that does not void warranty if you want to push it further. Unfortunately they are quite large so fitting it in a cheaper, common backpack will be hard. On the Best Buy models the warranty starts when Dell ships the machine to Best Buy, so an open-box may only have 6 months remaining sometimes. Fortunately, Dell will reset the warranty to your receipt purchase date if you send a copy to them. It is also eligible for warranty extensions so long as it is still in its original warranty, which would be a wise idea given the high cost of motherboard replacement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.