120/144hz Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by dkris2020, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkris2020

dkris2020 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looking for recommendations for gaming laptops with high refresh rate monitors. In terms of specs I'd want something along the lines of a six core Coffee Lake i7, GTX 1060 (non Max-Q), and 16gb of RAM. This would be replacing my Lenovo Y50-70 which I currently use for capturing video from my secondary gaming desktop as well as gaming when I'm traveling.

1) What is your budget?
    $1000-1500, the lower the better

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen - Mostly this

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    N/A
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Maybe, Will be buying from Amazon

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Streaming, Video Editing, Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both, mainly stationary

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Destiny 2

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4 1/2 - 5hrs non gaming (If possible)

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I can go off detailed reviews

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p High refresh rate

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes, Durability is key

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1-2tb storage, 256-500gb boot SSD

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3-4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Probably a week or so

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    N/A

2. Andrey Kurnavin

Andrey Kurnavin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Simple answer:

1. Perfect IPS 144Hz with average built quality and possible throttling - Asus GL series (Scar 2)

2. Very good TN 120 Hz with very good built quality and minor chance to throttle - MSI Ge and GT series.

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

I think these are all your options: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

From all these laptops I can recommend the new Omen laptops from HP, the Clevo P series (all of them) and the MSI GE63.
    I think if you really want 17 inches, you should go with the Clevo PA71HP6. It's an older model and Eluktronics still sells it for a very good price. It also has no cooling issues.
    Most laptops with the new Intel 8th Gen processors have cooling and throttling problems. I know the Omen 15t and 17t do not have serious problems in this regard and the MSI GE63.

4. dkris2020

Reputations:
    Thanks. I actually went with the HP Omen 17t. I got the version with a 128gb SSD and I used the rest of my budget to get a 512gb SSD which will come later. The laptop comes tomorrow and the SSD will be here next week so I’ll have time to play with it beforehand.

Blacky likes this.
  5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's great to hear. Please, do a short review on it after you get it. I'm very interested in the negatives and how the temperatures are for the processor and video card while playing Witcher 3 or other similar demanding games. In theory, there should be no issues, but I am still curious.

6. dkris2020

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck did a review of this model albeit with the 1070 https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-17t-i7-8750H-GTX-1070-Laptop-Review.323450.0.html. I’ll be sure to give it a stress test and possibly set up some games on it to see how it handles. I’m mostly curious to see how the performance compares to my desktop which has an i7 6700 (non-k model) but with a 1080 founders edition card.

Blacky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.