12.11 Beta 3/4 BSOD - HOW I FIXED IT - 7970m - atikmpag / atikmdag.sys

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by pijeon1978, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pijeon1978

pijeon1978 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well i was having the same problem as most on here with BSOD , but on a p370em with Dual CF 7970m.

Kept getting BSOD on start up , or shortly after.

My last stable drive was 12.8 WHQL, so i figured using the atikmpag/atikmday.sys files from them could be used , along with the newest 12.11 beta.

So here is what stopped mine - I make no guarantee it will work for you, and if you are not confident with changing stuff , PLEASE do not do it - and make sure you back up any important files you do.

So do the following at your own risk - but it worked for me , 3 days no crashes , 24/7 use and many restarts.

0) No need to uninstall anything
    1) Backed up C: Windows / System 32 / Drivers / atikmdag/atikmpag.sys files - moved/ saved them to a new folder on desktop
    2) Copied 12.8 atikmdag/atikmpag.sys in to the above place , AFTER moving the 12.11 ones to the new folder on desktop (you will need to download 12.8 drivers and uppack- they usually unpack to C/AMD
    3) Renamed the files atikmdag/mpag.sys files to atikmdag.sy_ , so they would not interfere with any system processes or get accidently deleted
    4) Restarted the PC - the computer came up with an error saying no ccc / graphics driver - this is ok
    5) Reinstalled , CUSTOM, but all packages of the 12.11 beta again - no uninstall or driver sweeper, just installed 12.11 again, all the elements.
    6) Restarted the machine
    7) No BSOD since then, but with the performance on every game i have tried so far (MOHW, GW2. Crysis 2, 3DMARK11 etc) of the new 12.11 drivers, but with stability of 12.8 drivers.

This may not be the ideal solution but it is currently working perfectly from me. As i said, i am no expert in this, but doing this has definately solved my problem on my clevo/sager p370em.

I just took the logic that if you used the old stable 12.8 atikmdag.sys files , along with installing

Might be worth trying for anyone that wants the performance of the 12.11 drivers but just cant get rid of those pesky BSOD

PJ

2. littlecx

littlecx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    sorry i dont understand. on step 5, the atikmdag/atikmpag.sys files from reinstallation of 12.11 beta will cover the old one from 12.8?

3. pijeon1978

pijeon1978 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes i mean, once you have copied the 12.8 files to system, then reinstall 12.11 beta drivers, and it fixes any errors.

4. IamEls

IamEls Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for the posting although mine is a p150em I'll give it a try.(fingers crossed)

5. littlecx

littlecx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    sorry i really dont understand, if the reinstallation of 12.11beta will cover 12.8 atikmdag/atikmpag.sys files, what is the point to copy atikmdag/atikmpag.sys files from 12.8 to system32? it should be now using 12.11beta's atikmdag/atikmpag.sys files after reinstallation

6. Vozier

Vozier Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe i am interpreting this wrongly, but you mainly recommend installing the 12.11 beta on top of existing drivers?
    I, as many, have not yet installed the 12.11 beta out of fear for BSODs...
    I own a P150EM, intel stock drivers and CCC 12.8, works great!
    To install 12.11 beta i should just download it and install it then? no uninstalls and ?

thanks for the post btw

cheers

Voz

7. mahalsk

mahalsk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which atikmdag/mpag.sys should I rename(step 3)- the new ones or the one backed up on the desktop??

Edit : where are the atikmdag/mpag.sys located in the 12.8 unpacked folder located, I cannot seem to find them, if possble you could upload them.
    This idea actually has something into it, every BSOD is coased by te atikmpag.sys file..

8. littlecx

littlecx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    renaming the files on desktop is meaningless. renaming the files in system32 also meaningless. since the last step is to reinstall 12.11beta, the atikmpag/atikmday.sys files from 12.11 beta will be copy to system32 and will be used anyway. these steps are very funny.

9. littlecx

littlecx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ok i have found atikmpag.sy_ and atikmday.sy_ in the install package, you mean i should replace these 2 files from 12.8 to 12.11beta?

10. mahalsk

mahalsk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Youp littlecx I also found only those two and replaced them and than rename to sys. Its weird but first reboot and it seems to work :)
    I have a 23 monitor plugged in and every time i sterted plugged in throught HDMI it bsod. when I restarted and unplug the hdmi it was ok, but stil sometime bsod. it also bsoed right away when I overcocked throught afterburner while running on the external monitor.

After this it actually worked and I could even overcock without crashink on the external monitor. I know it doesant make no sens as the files are overwrited but somehow it work. Hope it wont change on the next boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.