12.04 is almost here, any takers?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by talin, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, I think I got xubuntu working. For the screen tearing problem, going to Settings Manager -> Window Manager Tweaks -> Compositor and disabling desktop compositing largely fixed the issue.
    I got my printer working. I had to download the package "apparmor", and following the directions had to use aa-complain. It works fine now.
    Lastly, there is a bug with vlc (2.01). Audio is severely distorted/crackly. Switching to other audio sources (alsa, pulseaudio, etc) didn't help. Finally selecting alsa -> default works, but the audio would keep dying out every 30 to 60 seconds. I'd have to go back and select it again, over and over.
    Finally found a setting that sticks. Just use Alsa -> HD-Audio Generic - Analog 5.1 Surround, fixes the problem.
    I'm going to keep testing, but now things are much better. :)
    Oh and I forgot to mention. The problem with deleting files, and it saying it cannot find trash can, is a problem only while running a live session, because it needs read/write access. Apparently running in read-only mode causes it to freak out. After installing it to my hdd, it works normally. It must be an xfce limitation. I can live with it.
    :)

2. w3ak3stl1nk

w3ak3stl1nk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    10.04 is treating me good still. Did try 12.04 but got lost in the interface and rolled back. Nice fixes though, will have to try later. Still hesitant about taking that hurdle back to 12.04.
    I also tried the server edition as I mainly use virtual machines but my linux kungfu is bad so have to go at it later.

3. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    Running Xubuntu 12.04 on the laptop in my signature, no complaints so far. :rolleyes:

4. Best Foot Forward

Best Foot Forward Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Installed in less than 30 minutes on my six-year old pasty warmer (HP in my sig), 12.04 runs remarkably well. I experienced one complete lock up (nothing responding, forced to hard shutdown), the wireless indicators on the notebook keep flashing and the delete button doesn't go back a page in Chrome but Ubuntu has given the old girl a new lease of life. Boots and shutdowns extremely fast given the antiquated hardware and leaves XP in the dust.

5. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    For those with limited hardware: why dont you try something lightweight like puppy linux?

6. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, I booted from Cd, and ran it from CD, it worked gr8; although my fan was audibly spinning -Dell D610 circa 2007-
    When I looked at my wireless adapter,(Broadcom 802.11) it said firmware is missing, I assume this is a limitation because I am running from my pitiful 2 GIGs of RAM. IS that correct?

7. boukyaku

boukyaku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You need to install the wireless driver.

8. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    boukyaku thanks for the response, I tried running from CD on My ASUS and it worked perfectly. :D

9. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Just wanted to second your comments, was read to give my Dell D610 away- 1 GIG ram was not working well with Vista. I found this thread with a few intereseting tweaks, I got hibernate working Things To Tweak After Installing Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
    ~~~ IF you still have lock ups and want to try to fix this thread may be of help
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/993187

10. sanjie

sanjie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I thought the overheating issues is going to be fixed with 12.04, but it seems that I have more issues with 12.04 than 11.10 with my HP DV6T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.