12.04 is almost here, any takers?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by talin, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssri

ssri Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    He may be referring to the previous LTS, Lucid Lynx (GNOME 2.3), which is supported till next April.

2. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ^ ^ No, I'm talking about 12.04.

3. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do know this however i wish during install time you could choose your shell. Unity being forced by default sucks.

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    No matter. It isn't the same as it used to be.
    The thing that bugs me most is that I can't change the taskbar location in 12.04. Apparently Canonical made that on purpose, because they want users experience Unity the way they see. Also it bugs me that all window actions are on the left side. I've changed it in previous releases. Haven't tried it yet on 12.04 though.

5. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    Anyone considering using Linux Mint 13 which will be based off 12.04, but which will have gnome?

6. naticus

naticus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will use Mint 13 on my desktop dual booting with Windows 7 (games). Clem, Founder and lead of the Mint team, recentley had a poll on the Mint forums as what its users "favorite desktop environments", and it was a landslide with Cinnamon well ahead of the nearest DE. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=100787

If that poll is any indicator of default DE, then Cinnamon it will be. And that will be a great way for Mint to have a defining difference to Ubuntu. In the future I see the Mint team forking from Ubuntu and going either independent/Debian, further improving Cinnamon and separating itself from Canonical and Ubuntu.

7. ral

ral Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am using the Gnome 3.4 shell on Ubuntu 12.04. Everything is working well now. I see no reason to move to Mint. I think the LTS release is the last stop for my five year old HP 6510b.

8. Kyle

Reputations:

Interesting...thanks. Didnt know about Cinnamon. Mint is going places!!

9. Kyle

Reputations:
  10. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow, I think I just found my new operating system. I've been trying out Xubuntu 12.04, and everything not only works great, but wow, the DE is so clean and sleek, and there's no unity. :cool:
    Time to go make a custom iso. ;) There's a few essential programs that I need, I hope they are available for Xubuntu. If so, I'll be ditching Ubuntu 10.04 (and all flavors!!) all together (finally). ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.