12.04 is almost here, any takers?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by talin, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naticus

naticus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes I understand what you are saying, but it appears you are using Ubuntu as a common user and not as a power-user, with professional tools. I use DraftSight and Autocad ( mostly in Win 7, Wine,when it works) to work on my projects. GNOME 2.x handled the many operations just fine, Unity is another story. It is like reading a book with the lights turned off. Inefficient. I use my computer for work...and a bit of play, and Unity is just not equipped for a professional environment, period.

If all i needed to do was run Banshee and Chrome it might work well. But designing using Draftsight and Wine (Autocad) are another ballgame altogether.

2. EasyCruz

EasyCruz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ubuntu V12.04 is looking ok since upgrading from V11.10.
    This runs in VMware player V4.0.2 with no issues. Interesting,
    I wasn’t expecting Ubuntu to have drivers for an older HP multifunction
    printer connecting to USB, but there it was, tested & works.
    Dell XPS bluetooth mouse works great, no pairing bugs. Will review some firewall settings from the WIN 7 side so no issues occur on this WIN7>VM>UB setup.

The display settings did not have a 16:9 1920x1080 1080p selection for this 18” LCD.
    Selected the next best fit 16:10 1680x1050….black vertical bars on each side.

Acer Aspire AS8951G-9630 Notebook PC - Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.2GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, Blu-Ray Player, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M, 18.4" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Black

3. PopLap

PopLap Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    been using it in a vm for a bit now, and i do like it a lot better then the last release. unity has vastly improved but is still no where near mature enough for me, still to many clicks. runs faster then before (at least in Virtualbox) which is nice.

funny enough the unity interface works better on my big screen compared to my netbook, strange because they want it wo work on a 10" display. i thinks it has to do with windows and switching between them, i do not like how it is done in unity and on a large screen i dont have to maximize my windows.

4. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:

Could you elaborate on this nauticus?

I have never used Unity, only gnome, and I too use linux for professional work (usually with 4-8 gnome shells open). How will I be hampered if I move from gnome to unity?

5. ral

ral Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have not been paying attention to the updates (just blindly clicking install). The UI now seems much snappier.

6. v1k1ng1001

v1k1ng1001 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So far so good on my HTPC. Haven't booted into it much on my thinkpad (been taking a break from work).

7. EasyCruz

EasyCruz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Made some audio adjustments in V12.04 for the Acer 8951G’s (6) speaker,
    HT Dolby optimized 5.1 surround sound laptop. VMware Player V4.0.2
    sees Realtek HD audio (latest driver V6.0.1.6602) ok.

By default, Ubuntu uses PulseAudio for its sound. Also by default, PulseAudio is set to 2 channels only. Enabling surround sound involves changing one line in the configuration file /etc/pulse/daemon.conf. In the CLI, typed the following: gksu gedit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Once open, scroll down to find the line ; default-sample-channels = 2. Remove the semicolon at the start of the line and change the line according to your surround sound configuration: For 5.1 channel sound: default-sample-channels = 6.

Test, in the CLI type: speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6. Tested ok.

8. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Still got unity UI?

No thanks.

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I think you can revert back to Gnome 2.3.

10. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback. It's almost an exact clone of gnome 2 but as I already said in this thread, there are still a lot of things missing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.