11"14" Laptop with 4k screen for Unreal Tournament 4 (UE4) Development / Gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bmhbmh, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmhbmh

bmhbmh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is your budget?
    $1500-3000USD

What country will you be buying this in?
    Australia

What size notebook do you prefer?
    Ultraportable (11 - 12-inch screen)
    Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen)

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
    Yes

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
    Video Editing, Computer Programming, Output Video to TV or Large Monitor, 3D CAD Design, Graphic Intense 3D Gaming

Development of Unreal Engine 4 and Unity games

What games will you be playing?
    Unreal Tournament 4

Where will you be using this laptop?
    Will be used different places

Will you be buying online or in store?

Which OS do you prefer?
    Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
    Max Resolution (3840 x 2160)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
    Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
    No

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
    ASAP

How long do you want this laptop to last?
    1 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
    250 GB

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
    Yes

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
    No

Closet machines I have seen so far are, but neither have a 4k screen (3840 x 2160), but are close….
    Clevo W230SS - has 13.3" and 3200x1800 screen ~ $1800
    Notebook review thread here
    Aorus X3+ has the 3200x1800 screen but is 13.9" and has macro keys...which is not what I want. ~$2800
    Notebook review thread here

What are Unreal Engine 4's system requirements?
    You will need a powerful setup to get started developing with UE4 right now.
    Here's what we recommend:
    Desktop PC or Mac
    Windows 7 64-bit or Mac OS X 10.9.2 or later
    Quad-core Intel or AMD processor, 2.5 GHz or faster
    NVIDIA GeForce 470 GTX or AMD Radeon 6870 HD series card or higher
    8 GB RAM

I have a feeling I am a few months early as there would be a lot more 4k gaming laptops and screens near Christmas, but I cannot wait that long….Or am I wrong in my assumption in that all laptops that would be coming out this year would have been showcased at CES2014 or Computex 2014?
    Apple might still come out with Macbook Pro refresh when they debut the iphone 6….

I can live with 16GB ram for now if it is two slots, as I am hoping that Intel updates there reference design and support the 16GB single sticks from I’M(Intelligent Memory). ASUS have done it themselves already and
    any AMD laptops out there with these specs then the 16GB ram sticks should be supported already.
    I really like 32GB though in 4 slots straight away, then I could upgrade to 64GB when it becomes more price competitive.

I need to be able to output to a 4k screen. Haven't decided which one though yet. Might wait till the price is ~$399 at Christmas.

I know I have put a lot of links in, but I have been doing quite a lot of research on what I want, but haven't been able to find anything which fits the bill, hence this post :)

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. sgelevators

sgelevators Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    11-14" laptops with 4K screen doesn't exist today. It is ONLY avaliable for >15" screen.
    You still can buy 11-14" with less than 3K resolution.<qhd+ screen="" resolution="" for="" 11-14"<qhd+="" 11-14"<="" html=""></qhd+>

3. bmhbmh

Reputations:
    OK, so I guess I am too early then for 4k.

What would be the 3K recommendations besides the:
    and
    As only the Metabox W230SS is in stock at my local dealer. I would have to wait till end of August for either 13.3" or 13.9" Aorus X3+

Thanks.

4. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I doubt you will find full 4K in many machines that small because of how much the screens eat battery life. 1800's you may see in a very select models.

however I am curious on your video ediing and 3d/CAD software and usage as many applications especially pro level no longer use CUDA and are optimized for OpenCL and/or FP64 in which Gforce cards are not much help at all for speeding things up. even Photoshop now is very noticeably faster in medium to heavy use with a GCN based Radeon or a preofessional GPU. if you try rendering with MAYA or many other 3d or rendering applications you almost certainly want a pro card.

5. bmhbmh

Reputations:
    I am definitely noticing this.

I have been on sabbatical from video editing and 3D CAD for A LONG time as I worked in a different part of industry (getting hands dirty elsewhere, think more oversight/end user/customer instead of creator/developer) and just getting back into it again for fun.

So much has changed since I left!

I am thinking that I may have to go for a 15.4" with a good quadro card as I haven't found anything in the 11"&#8594;14" with a quadro card.

Unreal Tournament 4 (UE4) and Unity Development / Gaming is my number 1 priority, but I don't want to restrict myself if I can help it.

Rather spend another $1000, then have to spend another $3000 for another machine when I find out what i bought won't cut the mustard.

6. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Then I say look at a precision M4800 or the HP Zbook 15. the Lenovo W530 is a good option but I find the W540 not as good as the older model.

I have been in the video editing, animation and of all things architecture about 2 and a half decades now, and have actually shifted off of Mac's/ Mac Pros to primarily portable workstations. if you want heavy hitters you may still need to look at the 17" range as I need to, but that depends on your workflow and needs.

7. bmhbmh

Reputations:
    Thanks for the recommendations, the M4800 looks really good, but Dell want to charge me double the price here in AU, then in US....

Going to give the local Dell rep a call and try and figure out what's going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.