1080p laptop for gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by itskratos, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Lol that's not abnormal. Anything that is shipped to me here costs $$ to collect. Does not matter if it's warranty shipment, or gift from friend/family... if it enters the country and is not in a suitcase, it's being taxed

Sent from my OnePlus 1 using a coconut

itskratos, Spartan and Galm like this.
  2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Galm

On a side note, I just clicked on the spoiler in your sig! holy cow man, you have a lot of taptops! :eek:

Galm >>> [​IMG]

3. itskratos

itskratos Newbie

Reputations:
    There is a local reseller in India (that's Asia, not Europe) for Clevo (Azom Systems). As I mentioned earlier, shipping, customs etc. is what prevents me from getting it from outside!

Thanks for the inputs @Galm and @Phoenix and @D2 Ultima - your detailed inputs are much appreciated!
    Galm - I responded on your other post earlier that Azom (the local Clevo reseller in India) currently only has P750DM2 based options and is not offering any other Clevo barebones based laptop so I cannot go P6xx route.
    Based on some of the inputs, I understand that MSI's GE series is more entry level on quality, but GS or GT series are even more prohibitively priced here! In fact, there are not many 1060 based options available in India currently - most on offer are GTX 1050 based (not even 1050Ti). Hence, based on local research, I had shortlisted the MSI GE62VR 7RF and the Clevo P750DM2 based one. Both are quite close in most of the spec., number of fans etc.
    @Galm - since you have the Clevo based system (though a different one), it would help if you can comment on whether the P750DM2 has good build quality or not in case you have some experience with that? Also, is the upgradibility (CPU + GPU), which is the main selling point for Clevo, practically useful? I have read concerns on how many manufactures will continue to support MXM format GPUs that are compatible in these laptops...

4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Unless you are willing to buy a bunch of thermal pads, a delidding tool, liquid metal thermal paste and possibly a shim for proper contact, and void your CPU warranty on the P750DM2, then you don't have an option. It's either going to hit thermals at stock or nearly do so, even under relatively lighter loads, on the CPU. Some mild success can be found on the CPU with the 1070N and undervolting and maybe killing turbo boost... but I don't really consider that optimal.

Either way, you appear to be in for a decent spending and amount of importing.

Sent from my OnePlus 1 using a coconut

Spartan likes this.
  5. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Clevo should be keeping them compatible according to rumors. Obviously take with a grain of salt, but I think Prema mentioned it.

Build quality is pretty good, keyboard is somewhat poor, but the rest of the machine is decent.

My Clevo is very different. Nicer chassis, but thinner with no upgrade-able cpu or gpu.

Spartan and itskratos like this.
  6. itskratos

itskratos Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the inputs @Galm ! Meanwhile, the local Clevo reseller called me to inform that they are increasing the price by a further 100 USD since their base configuration is now moving to 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM instead of the 2133 MHz they were offering earlier.. This makes it even more expensive than MSI and hence things look to be tilting in favor of the MSI GE62VR currently. I do wish that there was an option for Clevo P650 based systems here, but alas!

7. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    That's so dumb. The cost difference between those two types of ram in the U.S. is like 7 dollars. What a rip off.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    itskratos likes this.
  8. itskratos

itskratos Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally bought the MSI GE62VR 7RF Apache Pro as the Clevo P750DM2 was getting more and more expensive for no reason...

Overall, am liking it quite a bit - the screen and keyboard are nice , optical drive will come in useful too here since disk version of games are usually cheaper than on Steam. Decent battery life on light usage. Pretty happy for now!

Thanks for all the inputs and feedback shared by everyone here!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.