1080p laptop for gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by itskratos, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    you are being biased because you own the Clevo P650.

In no way is the EVOC P650HP6-G superior to the GE62VR. What is superior about it? :rolleyes: Keyboard is not, audio is not, screen is not unless you get the 120Hz, it is thicker and heavier with no Global Warranty

And, it is cheaper...particularly this one with $100 in FREE upgrades.

http://www.hidevolution.com/msi-ge62vr-7rf-apache-pro-606-custom-built-gaming-laptop.html

$1,399 vs. $1,544 with 16GB and Windows 10...and that is before the $100 in free upgrades

Add a 256GB SSD and the MSI is still $1,399 while the EVOC P650HP6-G is $1,635

Add the 1 Year Global warranty that the MSI has standard, and the EVOC P650HP6-G is $1,785 while the MSI is STILL $1,399

Superior in what way...??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using a coconut

@D2 Ultima

itskratos likes this.
  2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Indeed, but the difference isn't that great. Discreet cards now have technologies like AMD's Zero Core: "By doing this AMD is able to reduce their power consumption from 15W at idle to under 3W in long idle, a power level low enough that in a desktop the power consumption of the video card becomes trivial. " - Anadtech .

At core level you don't gain much from switchable graphics, you do gain from cutting power consumption from the board itself which can be another 3-5W.

The integrated CPUGPU will eat anywhere from 2W-15W ore more, depending on CPU model and usage.

itskratos likes this.
  3. itskratos

itskratos Newbie

Reputations:
    One reason is that the Clevo reseller in India only has P750DM2 barebones based system and no P650 based option.

Thanks for the inputs Phoenix! I understand that the screen on MSI GE62VR and the Clevo P740DM2 are the same - so the face thatr you mention that MSI GE62VR's screen is good, it should also apply to Clevo then.
    HIDevolution does indeed look a good option - and I have been reading those threads you linked earlier too. I am slightly concerned as buying from HIDevolution with 1 year Global HIDevolution warranty means I do give up second year warranty if I buy from India. However, the price difference is indeed huge, but with additional customs, it will probably be the same. Secondly, I have read stories where India's Customs levied additional duties when laptop was received back after repair (and it is not easy to argue with them or show them logic that it was only a repair). All those things make me a bit vary of getting it from outside India..

The lack of Thunderbolt 3, and no upgradibility option in future are probably two major things against the MSI GE62VR, and the fact that local authorized service for it here is not the best! Apart from that, I do like it overall.

Any inputs from owners of Clevo P750DM2 barebones based models will also be much appreciated!

4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Checked out OBSIDIAN-PC yet?

Sent from my OnePlus 1 using a coconut

5. itskratos

itskratos Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion but no - these are not sold in India, and as I mentioned earlier, I have my concerns in buying from outside and getting it shipped to here...

6. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Well if you're buying a P750DM2 you need it from HID or OBSIDIAN anyway. OBSIDIAN is in Europe so no international shipping costs so to speak. If India is not part of the european union then subtract 23% from all prices on OBSIDIAN's website

Spartan likes this.
  7. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    No I would have elaborated if he responded about it.

Keyboard is not is subjective, I can't remember which MSI variant the GE62 version uses right now, but some of MSI's lower end keyboard suck. I think it's the nicer one so both are around equal there.

Audio is better on the GE62. Display is the same one, except the P650 has the 120Hz option, so depends what you pick there.

As for dimensions. The GE62 is definitely the thicker machine. Notebookcheck clocks the P650HP6 in at .98", and the MSI GE62 at 1.14" which is even thicker than the 1070 equipped P650HS. Weight wise you are correct, the GE62 is 5.47lbs vs the P650HP6's 6.26lbs. So if that's a concern that's a check for the GE62.

Notebookcheck also noted that the tempuratures between the two systems favored the P650 by a decent amount, though both were not really in the danger zone with the GE62 peaking at 83cpu and 78C gpu, and the Clevo at 79C cpu and 70 gpu. This is part of the reason I said the P650 is superior, as from a cooling perspective having 3 fans instead of 2 is definitely making a difference.

The last thing is build quality. I had the P650 (it was an Eluktronics P650RE6) next to a GE62VR about a month ago. The difference in chassis rigidity was very noticeable. The reason I'm not a fan of the GE62 series is because it's one of the least premium feeling machines in the price point. The GP62 is nearly the same, but a couple hundred dollars less, which I think makes a lot more sense.

Other factors to keep in mind are if upgrade-ability is important the 4 Sata ssd slots for the P650 (3 if you want a HDD) vs the 2 on the MSI, along with 4 instead of 2 ram slots.

Additionally, I don't go with HID when pricing out competitive prices for machines. While I love 'em, they don't try to compete with the prices of say XoticPC (they don't need to). And in this case that Clevo pricing is really high.

So pricing out an equal config on XoticPC of the MSI GE62VR and Sager NP8156 the price is actually 20 bucks higher on the GE62. (16GB ram, 256GB sata ssd, Windows 10 1 year warranty, though note if you aren't U.S. the MSI global is better)

Another thing to keep in mind is many people can acquire Windows on their own, Sager offers the option to remove it and save 70 bucks, while MSI does not for this model. So then the Sager is almost 100 dollars cheaper which you could use to get the 120Hz display.

Please give me some credit for trying to stay unbiased. I work hard to make sure I'm being fair in my evaluations, I was brief on mobile with that first comment admittedly, but I'm not blinded by my own P650. I still love the MSI GT series, and respect the GS series, but I'm not a fan of the GE series at its current pricing.

Edit: and I know all this pricing info is U.S. I would have asked to price compare his local Clevo reseller's P650 to the MSI.

itskratos and Spartan like this.
  8. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Ok. Here be some stuff.

Unless notebookcheck said they tested clevo with max fans, they didn't. But they do on MSI. So take those temps with some salt grains.

Next, the GE and GP series from MSI I've always found to be pretty entry level. I tend to not recommend them as I often find people closer to temp limits with those models. For me it's either GS or GT when it comes to MSI models I would recommend, except I think there is a 1050Ti model in the GE? That'd work. So there's that for me.

Remember too Prema mod for P6 series from HID exists too. Also @Phoenix remember that the P6 series keyboard is different to the P7 & P8 models, and often considered better by most who've used both.

If the arguement was between a GS series, or a GT (which are often found cheaply on newegg etc for the GT62 and 72) then by all means, those are fine alternatives.

9. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I understand, I know you are not biased usually. since you didn't state these points in detail in your previous post I didn't get it at first and thought you were being biased. Excuse me for that.

On the other hand, I think we laid out the pros/cons in a great way for the OP but he won't buy from any of the resellers we suggested as he lives in India due to customs and whatnot as he mentioned. I actually have seen a previous case of an Indian d00d being charged a 2nd time for customs fees on his laptop that was just sent for repairs then customs made him pay again as if it was a new laptop...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using coconuts

itskratos and Galm like this.
  10. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Agreed, my main point was if it's available spec it out on Azom and see the price. If it's way higher than the MSI don't do that, but it's worth looking into imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.