1080p laptop for gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by itskratos, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itskratos

itskratos Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

New on this forum and have been going through the existing threads.

I am looking for a new laptop - primary purpose is gaming (e.g. Rise of the Tomb Raider, Gost Recon Wildlands etc.) and photo editing (Photoshop and Lightroom). Portability is not too big of an issue as I intend to use it around home mainly with need to occasionally take it out, but then I would also prefer not to be tied to a adapter always for casual tasks like browsing and video watching.

I have shortlisted the following two models:
    1. MSI GE62VR 7RF Apache Pro
      • 3.5 GHz Intel 7th Gen Core i7-7700HQ
      • 16GB DDR4 RAM (max upto 32GB)
      • 256GB M.2 SSD + 1TB SATA 7200rpm hard drive
      • 15.6-inch 1920x1080 screen (no GSync)
      • GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Graphics Card
      • Full RGB backlit keyboard
      • Extra slot of 1 more HDD and one more M.2 SDD
      • 2 Years Warranty
      • Win 10 Home
      • Price : USD 2090
    2. AZOM Exigo (Clevo Barebone - P750DM2)
      • Intel Kabylake Desktop Grade i5-7500
      • 16GB DDR4 RAM (max upto 64GB)
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB SATA 7200rpm hard drive
      • 15.6-inch 1920x1080 screen (no GSync) - this is probabaly same as MSI one.
      • GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Graphics Card
      • Full RGB backlit keyboard
      • 2 Years Warranty
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Price: USD 2200
    If the prices seem inflated, that is because I am in India, and these machines are available at a premium as compared to US. Unfortunately, buying from US (or places like HIDevolution) is out of the question.

Pros of MSI model:
    1. Seventh Gen i7 - HyperThreading may benefit some apps, though not games.
    2. SteelSeries keyboard typically has good reviews based on reviews I have seen
    3. Warranty/service in local city
    4. Not sure of any of the MSI technology or software like the Dragon Center or Nahimic Sound are actually and practically useful
    5. lighter and sleeker
    6. Looks better than Clevo/AZOM one - or atleast that's what appears from photos
    Cons of MSI model:
    1. No Thunderbolt 3
    2. Can only drive 4K display at 30Hz via HDMI. But I am not sure of the DisplayPort - it has one, but does not mention the version.
    3. No future upgradibility
    Pros of Clevo P750DM2 Barebones based model
    1. Future upgradibility option for CPU/GPU - though I am not sure if it is practically useful?
    2. Desktop grade processor, though its an i5 - again, not sure if it will be better overall than 7th gen i7 laptop processor on MSI GE62VR.
    3. Extra slots for HDD and SDD
    4. Thunderbolt-3! and 4K at 60Hz
    Cons of the Clevo based model:
    1. Heavier and thicker (3.8 KG and 38mm vs MSI's 2.4 KG and 28mm)
    2. Only one reseller in India - for any warranty or service, laptop needs to be couriered to out of city and hence may be time consuming.
    3. Did not see many reviews of this barebone based models on the net - finding drivers etc. may be an issue!?
    4. Cannot see or try it in a shop. For MSI, I can look at it at the local authorised dealer.
    I would like to keep whatever laptop I buy for at least 3-4 years.

It would be really helpful if I can get to hear some owner reviews and suggestion on the above model to help me choose. Which one is better and more reliable? Which features look good on paper but are practically not really useful? Is there any other GTX 1060 based model in similar price range that I am missing and may be better?

2. itskratos

itskratos Newbie

Reputations:
    Also, here is the questionnaire as required:
    1) What is your budget?
    USD 2200 max

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    India

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI, ASUS, Dell
    b. Dislike: Lenovo
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming and Photo editing.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mainly for usage around home, on the bed etc.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes. E.g. Rise of Tomb Raider, Gost Recon Wildlands, Assasins Creed series.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2-3 hours on normal usage (non-gaming). For gaming, I do not mind having the adapter plugged in.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Ideally yes.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    Full HD (1920x1080)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Matte.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Important but not the highest priority.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Intend to purchase in a couple of week's time.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    3-4 years.
    Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    1TB HDD. And yes, SSD for OS and Photoshop etc. (128GB is okay)

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Not essential.

==========

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It really comes down to how portable you want to be. The 750DM2 is heavy and battery life gets around 3 hours. The MSI is more portable but battery life is under 2 hours and a half. If weight is not a problem for you, get the Clevo.

itskratos likes this.
  4. itskratos

itskratos Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the inputs. Slightly confused though - I was under the impression that due to the Nvidia Optimus and laptop grade processor, the MSI GE62VR will probably have better battery life (even with the smaller battery) as compared to Clevo P750DM2 based model?

5. wrathofdeath

wrathofdeath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Idk about the thickness of the MSI but the Alienware 17 R4 is pretty thin at just over an inch thick and has all the specs you listed that you'd want. It also has a switch so you can turn on/off the 1060 to save battery life. They run a 10% off promo monthly I believe (the one just expired 2 days ago). You can also get discounts if you work for a Dell affiliate or attend a college that provides a discount. Can grab it for less than the MSI price with the same specs.

The desktop grade CPU will chew battery life.

But seeing you want a 15-16" the 15 R3 is also quite thin as well and has similar specs (besides the desktop grade CPU of the Clevo), looks like it's ~$500 less as well at $1574.00.

Link to the 15 with the specs.
    https://goo.gl/Rq7J5o

A person at my school has an MSI and loves it so it seems.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    itskratos likes this.
  6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On the Clevo the integrated GPU is disabled, so no Optimus. The MSI has Optimus but has a smaller battery. Thing is modern video cards reduce power consumption significantly when not under load so there isn't much gain from Optimus now.

itskratos likes this.
  7. wrathofdeath

wrathofdeath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Having the GPU on still will eat the battery faster than if you had switchable graphics.

8. itskratos

itskratos Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks all for your suggestions!

Thanks for the suggestions. However, as I mentioned in my post, I am buying this in India. All laptops are sold at a premium here, and especially the ALienware ones - here the Alienware 15in model is even more expensive than the two I listed, and with significantly lower spec, hence, Alienware is out for me.

Hmm.. That's what I was wondering. However, having read many posts where people seem to have issues with Optimus, I wonder if it is better to have it disabled like in Clevo, and sacrifice a bit on battery life. In any case, the Clevo does have bigger battery than MSI, so battery life may be even between the two when doing casual tasks like web-browsing, seeing videos etc.

My main point of concern is if how is the overall quality of the MSI GE62VR 7RF Apache Pro, to the Clevo? And if the extras in MSI (like SteelSeries keyboard, Dragon Centre, Nahimic Sound etc.) make a practical difference over the Clevo? And secondly, how is the overall build quality of Clevo - e.g. the chassis, the hinges etc. I earlier had a Lenovo IdeaPad, and its hinges gave up in about 2 years of normal (and not rough) usage - which then led to the LCD screen going almost dysfunctional. And that is something I would like to avoid especially when investing that much money in a laptop...

9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The MSI GE62VR has MSHYBRID graphics and has one of the best keyboards and screens.

I advise you to get it from HIDevolution as they have the best customer service and warranty and do an awesome job when it comes to applying the thermal paste to reduce temps.

Check these: http://www.hidevolution.com/catalogsearch/result/?a=all&q=ge62vr

Also see:

HIDevolution - The Best Company I ever dealt with

HIDevolution's Warranty!

Since you are an NBR Member, if you email donald@hidevolution.com with the configuration you want you may get a small discount

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Galm likes this.
  10. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Did anyone ask why no P650 option? Superior to the GE62.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.