1080p gaming on 4K panel

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by chelski26, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chelski26

chelski26 Newbie

Reputations:
    can anybody share their experience using alienware (15 spesifically) with 4K screen playing games on 1080p ?
    will the blur and pixels be so eyecatching ?

2. nzgeek

nzgeek Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've had a couple of games running at 1080p on the 17R3's 4K screen. It's honestly no different to gaming on a 1080p panel. I know it's not the AW15, but the bigger screen means bigger pixels, which should make any problems more obvious.

Why would you expect things to look bad? The 4K panel has exactly twice add many pixels in each direction, so when the game draws a single (1x1) pixel, it's displayed on a 2x2 pixel block instead. It's an exact multiple, so no interpolation is needed.

3. Luke Taylor

Luke Taylor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sometimes the scaling goes wonky I remember the old days on COD modern warefare the fonts for chat would become 'odd' if you didn't use your native resolution.

However i'm on the 15R2 4K and i've used many of the resolutions and I can see they all work properly and look correct. The only issue you may have is windows 10 scaling which is friggin awful making fonts soft. if so use this app to use windows 8.1 scaling. http://windows10_dpi_blurry_fix.xpexplorer.com/

4. chelski26

chelski26 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah i have read about the exact multiplier thing in another source, but somehow there's always people tellin that its not that simple, and anything not in native display will look more pixelated.

However, my logic agrees with you, and I hope I make the right decision because i want to do stuff aside from gaming in 4K.

Thanks for the positive share bro.

5. chelski26

chelski26 Newbie

Reputations:
    Am i supposed to launch it upon startup or should i put it in a windows folder ?

6. Punisher5.0

Punisher5.0 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I play most games in 1080 and see zero blurring or ghosting. Doom looks amazing on Ultra@1080. The only issued I noticed was on the game Polarity there was a lot of screen tearing at 1080 but at 4k it was perfect. Not a big deal because the game isn't demanding and it doesn't have v sync either.

7. nickbarbs

nickbarbs Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok so I listened to everyone here who said no difference with 1080p gaming on a 4k screen and native 1080p gaming.

i can tell you from experience that is categorically false. If you don't like the upscale effect it is VERY PREVALENT on the 4k screen. I ended up returning the 4k model and getting a 1080p model because I didnt find it worthwhile dealing with that and frankly the lightbleed on the 4k screen was atrocious.

Take it for what it is, i have sensitive eyes and 20/20 vision, but 1080p looked like crap to me on the 4k screen.

8. Luke Taylor

Reputations:
    NickBarbs I cannot agree with you there is no issue, and bearing in mind i've spent the last week getting my screen sorted, I can tell you if there was a issue i'd definately know about it.

9. Luke Taylor

Reputations:
    Install the app, choose scaling 8.1 set your scaling %. Restart and settings applied automatically on startup.

10. mertymen2010

mertymen2010 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I installed the 4k screen on my laptop some time back. When i first started using it, I was playing everything in 4k. Then when I went back to playing 1080, I thought "oh dear, this looks like crap"...... SO I went ahead and put the 1080 screen back.
    Guess what. It looked even better than the native 1080 so I went ahead and popped my 4k back in.
    I think 4k users get used the sharpness of the screen and therefore believe it looks awful when at 1080.

iunlock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.