1080 Benches

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by woodzstack, May 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JAY8387

JAY8387 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    TBoneSan likes this.
  2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Yeah unless your upgrading from 680/780 or 970 or 980 (Not 980Ti or Titan X) I wouldn't touch a 1080. I would wait a year and get a Ti version instead. Hype won't last forever, the 1080 has some nice features that they have ALWAYS HAD on the Quadro cards, but now they UNLOCKED them on the normal GPU's so you think your getting some bargain or deal. Performance wise, seems it's only more efficient then more powerful, really. If you compare performance on a per Watt basis, I bet THEN the 1080 looks better. Then if you consider a 200W 980Ti vs a 200W 1080 there might be worthwhile differences. The features they "unlocked" by drivers, for the 1080 could have been done by nVidia for the 980, or 980Ti even. The presentation they did, was selling snake oil, really.

1080 Snake oil ! Get it with the founders editions ! Extra confusion at a higher pricetag !

NVIDIA is the same company that released all those broken drivers last year, that killed tons of computers and computer screens all over the world and didn't say anything about it. Now they are selling their snake oil, at a higher price, changing the word reference to FOUNDERS edition, so they can charge you more, and instead of making something faster, they unlocked a bunch of technologies they have had on other nvidia cards for a decade(Since now gamers are so complex they basically require what complex developers use to create games, to play them now, lol).

AMD does NOT cater to the high end crowd that most of us are in, but I wish they did. They are after all a competitor with INTEL directly, a much larger and much more sophisticated company then NVIDIA, which has a small niche/minority market. (something like 10% the market AMD has).

It's a shame, really. AMD would have not made us wait 2-3 years for a new product and then deliver something that already existed and try to pawn it off as something new - oh wait, they do that too?? Rebranding, whats that, pffft com'on we're not stupid enough top fall for that from AMD, surely we're not going to fall for that from NVIDIA. Snake oil is such a rare thing, get it while you can, because who knows how such a thing is created !

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    TBoneSan, Mr. Fox and JAY8387 like this.
  3. Daniel1983

Daniel1983 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @woodzstack I'm not sure anyone could complain about the pricing. You get more than Titan X performance for half the price. That's a steal. But yes, the 1080Ti in SLI is the only way to go.

4. woodzstack

Reputations:
    well you know, I once paid 550USD for my Voodoo 5 64MB VGA x8 card. With inflation from 15 years to now, thats like saying it was 1,000$. So I guess 599USD for 1,000X the performance is a great buy, since the number of years that have past since the technology existed/was released doesn't factor into your equation.

However, on a serious note, I always thought the Titan X was a gimmick, and a waste of money - and a few weeks later I was right - when they revealed the 980Ti to be 1/3rd the price but the same performance !

That is like when I wasted money on the Voodoo and AMD released this x16 9250 GPU that was 5x faster for half the price, not long after.

I'm just cautioning people, because the 1080 is not what we've been waiting for, something is wrong here, and NVIDIA has a tendency to release what they really are holding back, once they get rid of the garbage stock first, to early adopters. What makes me feel this way, is the fact they pretended to create all new technology when they only unlocked it on the 1080. Like the VR surround stuff, or multi gpu threading etc.. all those features, exist and have for almost 2 decades on their workstation cards. Can someone who knows what I'm referring to weigh in, with their expertise here?

TBoneSan likes this.
  5. Doctor JO

Doctor JO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I read some topic about Asus secret project new Gx700 with water cooling

And they tell it in test about some xxx project so I suppose that is mobile 1080 and in Asus test she is faster then desktop titan x

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

6. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I just want max settings at 1080P really. I personally don't care to go any higher on a laptop screen.

You mean GTX cards can start rendering again without being artificially gimped? This would literally give me zero practical reason to go with AMD.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. woodzstack

Reputations:

WHAT A LOAD OF CR@P that graph is! So misleading. It's picturing the TITAN X as if it's 2x faster but if you look points wise, it's not even 3%. Now of course they probably screwed it up more than that, it's basically a COMPLETE lie.

The whole thing is meant to mislead you and falsify. It leaves the last one for you to speculate, meaning they WANT you to believe its the 1080 but it CLEARLY is not. So do not be fooled. Man I hate the world we live in when people do this sh1t.

Funny how they also try and make the R9 295 faster too, by making the mistake and putting X2 (twice) on it, making people think it is potentially PART of the product naming. Why not show us the truth, which is 2 x (twice) R9 295 in Crossfire, does not even beat a 2nd hand REGULAR edition 980 Ti.
    (though don;t get me wrong, the requirements for crossfire room, power wise, equipment, time and the fact not all games use it, and that 2 x R9 295 will cost you like 1.5X as much as a 980Ti anyways)

Where was this stupid lie posted anyways ? Man I just BURN with rage when i see lies and deceitful cr@p like this. This is why I got into providing GPU services for people I know, friends family colleagues, associates etc...
    not trying to pat myself on the back or promote my brand here or anything of the sort, but this type of deceitfulness is what motivated me BIG TIME.

There is so much stuff like this all over. Just pissed me off. Even DELL doesn't stoop this low. Seriously.

8. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    It's likely 2 x 980 desktops.
    They should just be upfront about it. I also despise how they make those graphs deliberately ambiguous.

9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    What features again?

10. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What do you mean?