1070 mxm damaged?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Crustieraxe01, Nov 16, 2020.

1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well then it looks like it's not physically damaged it would just take some tweaking by an expert to get it going, maybe sell it here on the marketplace.

3. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He already returned it to me lol. I would try to get it running again, but then again, I have nothing to do so. The very laptop that I could test it on, I sold.

4. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I think the PCB is from HP's Zbook machines, and made for 80W TDP range, and they never go beyond 115W in the gaming performance and probably not even advised to do so either. I think that is the only option for the MXM3.0b PCB design for many machines out there without dremel and getting the much higher power 1070 from MSI. Not sure they burn up, first time I'm hearing that these are bad quality. Unfortunate since this was the only option for the M17x R4 and R1 without changing the whole chassis. 1060 is more of an OCed 980M with less VRAM on top and no Custom BIOS option compared to a 980M.

5. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I talked to the buyer and got more information from him anyways. It seems like the card might seem to run fine. He wasn't in UEFI Mode at all (bios and windows install) and the drivers would install fine, but windows would diasble the 1070 for some reason without any error code. This might be where the resistor issue might come into play or if its the UEFI issue. Im not sure what are the side effects of not having not having UEFI environment while trying to get the 1070 set up.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  6. expresstyle

expresstyle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I didn’t understood, so the guy that bought the gpu from you tested it on AW18 and he didn’t managed to install nvidia drivers right? He tried to modified nvidia drivers and disabling firmware signs windows stuff ? Or just simple tried to install nvidia drivers?

7. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

[​IMG]

Buddy, i'm confused now.

8. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don‘t be. You don‘t have other choice now, only those 1070 are available on the market nowadays...
    MSI‘s are out of production.
    Just use it and pray everything will be fine..:)

expresstyle likes this.
  9. expresstyle

expresstyle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That’s not true bro, usually there are few msi ones on eBay even at good price

10. Abiceone

Abiceone Newbie

Reputations: