** 1070 laptop: GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR reboot/crash problem **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Hugodra, May 17, 2017.

1. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey there! You get reboots etc? If so, then you can either: install vbios 8a, decrease voltage in afterburner to 0.9V or slightly lower (if 0.9V does not work) OR push msi to replace your gpu. If you decide to do that then I suggest you open the laptop to verify that you have the faulty gpu first - you will also be able to see whether it was exchanged then. The faulty ones were revision 1.0.
    Now if you want to try the vbios: use msi official tutorial on installing it (there is a how to under the vbios official file for your laptop - but that vbios would still have the same issue so you would need the .8A which lowers the voltage).
    OR you can do the same thing as the .8A vbios manually using msi afterburner: open it, press ctrl+f, then flatten the curve COMPLETELY beyond desired voltage (If you want to OC I would do that beforehand as you can drag the stock curve up pressing shift and dragging one point). Whether you OC or not, flattening the curve horizontally beyond the chosen voltage (aka the same frequency for all voltage points) will result in the gpu never going higher in voltage. Keep us posted!

PS. if this is something that only started happening recently it is possible you don't have the same issue. Run hwinfo and check for thermals and throttling flags being tripped. Also check the event viewer for errors around the time stuff happens.

2. 1GreyGhost1

1GreyGhost1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you will need to use afterburner by msi and hit control key and f I think. to bring up the frequency eq. you can go stock or OC if you want but the idea is to under-volt the card by taking your highest frequency at say .950 mv. and flattening out the curve from that point to the right if that makes sense. this issue is that card can not go over 1.013mv. or it crashes. by doing the above you are under-volting to a 0.950mv. you can go even lower if you are having high temps as this will also reduce the heat.

3. Illiss

Illiss Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks,i'll try that.

It's not something new, i've been encountering full crashes (complete freeze, randomly colored pixels, and complete restart of my computer)
    for quite a while now.
    I'm kinda scared to push for the warranty.
    Also, i'm very sorry but i didn't understand everything you told me, my native language isn't english, and i'm trying my best to understand / write.

4. Illiss

Illiss Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, i'm such a newbie to this ... So i understand i should put the max frequency at 0,9mV.
    What's the highest frequency value i should put it to ?
    And what if i mess up ? willmy computer be broken ?

Sorry for all these questions ... :/

Edit : i can't flatten the curve, it always goes upwards at around 1V

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Use MSI Afterburner and make sure all points past the 0.900v point are completely flat and read the exact same mhz as the 0.900v point. The speed will be shown in white on the left when you click. Just click and use the up and down arrow keys to move the speed manually with the keyboard, then click and verify. That always works. Don't forget about the farthest right edge either. Then apply and save a profile.

6. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The trick is to make sure your gpu is cold. Run the fan boost for at least 10 minutes. Then edit the curve editor. The reason is, the curve editor will display a different curve depending on your gpu temp. You wanna edit it when it is showing the default values.

heliada likes this.
  7. Jageruao3

Jageruao3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i am new here, and i need some help or advice, i try to read some about throttlestop and undervolting. But i am new it this. Please help, i have MSI GT73VR i7 7820, with 1070, and not really long time ago its seems like Dragon Center dont do hes job any more. When you shifting power options its dont look like something realy change, just temperature seems like, but not performance... Can some body help with that? Sorry i'm not in the right topic

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is no simple task, there are some tutorials on the forum already which can help you to get to average point. However, it does require time and patience to reach sweet spot for your system if you want more.