** 1070 laptop: GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR reboot/crash problem **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Hugodra, May 17, 2017.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Contact Tom Ho ( tomh at msi dot com i think, if that's not it, search this forum as it has been posted), and explain to him VERY politely that you have a version 1.0 MSI 1070 card that has the crashing problem at higher than 0.9v, your laptop is out of warranty, and you would like to exchange the 1.0 card for a working 1.2 revision card. This will cost you money so make sure you explain fully, politely and carefully that you understand the problem and you know what you're talking about. You have nothing to lose except being embarrassed.

2. ScooF

ScooF Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sadly i purchased mine one year ago from Ebay seller as refurbished for 2000 usd (and i told my self 2000 usd for sli 1070 isn't bad)
    months after testing and windows reinstalling i found about those corrupted 1070s, reached msi and they told me my warranty is no more :D
    before i found about the Voltage thing i was playing games on 4K resolution using Nvidia DSR, it cause a lot of fps lose but it works fine and solve the problem
    for now i think im gonna live with it and adjust to the voltage method and take this as a lesson for the future

Thana7 likes this.
  3. ScooF

ScooF Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My laptop is Sli and one mxm 1070 card costs up to 800 usd
    so i will end up paying as much as new laptop

4. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mmm ye well technically the undervolt does not make you lose much performance... and you can OC at the same time to around 1800MHz if you want to for sure which will result in having pretty much no impact in the end. If anything, the undervolt will save you on the electricity bill haha. The question is if the "fix" is permanent cause no one knows. No one even knows what is exactly wrong with those cards :(

ScooF likes this.
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As I said last time, ask him.
    He may arrange a swap of the old cards for a fee. Maybe request a cross shipment and explain you are competent enough to remove the old cards and install the new ones.
    There is NO harm in asking. And it costs you nothing to ask.

Complaining here about price isn't going to fix your problems.

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mobile 1070 is utterly power limited so unless you lock it to something really low (like MaxQ clocks/volts or below) it'll turbo up and eat the full 115W no matter what. Not really saving power, but getting you extra performance.

I was able to maintain 0.975V for 1975Mhz, well below crash voltage on my v1.0 vortex 1070s. That was with a significantly raised power limit to be able to maintain those clocks.

I tried benchmarking for a little while locking them to the full 1.062V and clocks were somewhere in the region of 2150mhz. Unstable though, it'd hit even a 200W power limit and clock down below 1.013V and crash fairly often

7. heliada

Reputations:
    He has an SLI system and plays in 1080p. The likelihood of both cards being maxed with a mobile cpu are low. If they are not being used to 100%, then they will be allowed to run at full voltage as the power drawn will not be high enough by either card. Undervolting will lower power consumption in those scenarios as it might bring the clocks down from 1800+ to around 1600MHz on stock (or whatever OC is stable for such low voltage). And 0.975V is not even attainable by his gpus as they would crash the entire laptop due to faulty MSI design/parts/whatever it is.

Plus, the power limit will take the cards down to around 1600MHz if both cards are used at 100% which is in the safe voltage zone for these faulty cards. Unfortunately for 1070 SLI systems, especially with mobile cpus this just won't happen at 1080p in any game I know or am interested in looking into. Hence for this person playing at 4k on his 1080p screen was the workaround: the cards would be used to 100% in many games and power locked to around 1600MHz, which is low and safe voltage. At least if the SLI systems do have the same power limits on the gpus...

8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I also had 1070SLI on 1080p, the 100% reliable fix is to flatten the boost curve so the cards never go above 1.013V. Loading the cards heavier so they hit power limit and clock down, is not a 100% fix as on low load they will clock back above that point which risks a crash

In the below example, since the MHz is no higher on any point above 0.95V, the card will not use those points on the curve and will never ever use a voltage above 0.95V
    [​IMG]

9. heliada

Reputations:
    I guess you only read the last message... what do you think I was talking about? Plus 0.95V would not help the guy in question cause his cards still crashed at 0.9V, while my recommended value of 0.8V (which you would have known if you read at least 1 page back) so far seems to work I guess... Anyway what do you think this "flattening" is? It's an undervolt. Most likely you knew what to do cause you saw it somewhere and it might even come from Falkentyne or me anyway as we were one of the first few to have suggested an msi afterburner curve for this as it replicates what the .8A vbios does. At least I know I figured it out on my own because it was BEFORE this thread was created and the only fix available was the .8A vbios which was just recently discovered at that time. And well, if you also figured it out on your own, then gg. But you could have still read at least 1 page back before commenting unnecessarily.
    PS. what you did (undervolting) still may not be a fix, but a temporary solution and the problem could return any time or the card could simply totally die.

Falkentyne likes this.
  10. Illiss

Illiss Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. I've been encountering the same problem as mentionned and i have the K1611N (flagged as a defective unit)
    I've read some of the posts on the thread but i'm utterly bad at understanding all of this. I still have my warranty (a few months left) and i would like to know what should i do.
    I've read about reducing voltage (?) with the afterburner, but as i said, i don't understand anything and i'm scared to do anything bad, i wouldn't want to break the computer even more ...

Let's hope this reply won't be unseen :(