** 1070 laptop: GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR reboot/crash problem **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Hugodra, May 17, 2017.

1. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You might not have installed a miner on your system but a webpage that has been hijacked can run one remotely which is normally coinhive which uses both GPU and CPU. Look at my signature there is a thread of such as site doing what I am talking about.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

2. Vamsi Krishna Saladi

Vamsi Krishna Saladi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Actually i am not able to figure why my AfterBurner is not showing voltage (in mV) in the monitering. its showing '0'. i turned on check box - "unlock voltage monitoring". So Frequency is in Y axis and Voltage in X axis.
    So i do it flat horizontally or vertically ?

3. Vamsi Krishna Saladi

Reputations:
    I checked and i dont have any browser running at that time. I checked the Task manager. I will check for any suspicious threads.
    But in this time when my GPU hypers up. My CPU is perfectly stable. (monitoring through MSi after burner)
    i will try With AirPlane mode ON. Do you have any ideas i can test or mining/virus.

4. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You could run malware bytes etc.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

5. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also, not sure how you install drivers and what drivers you are on. Try to install a newer/older version after cleaning with DDU first to see if you can get rid of the pop up errors.
    It is normal for it not to monitor voltage by default. The curve will work regardless of whether monitoring is enabled or not. Look at the pic below for inspiration: but don't OC like I did - the pic is from my gt75 (your curve will be lower). I don't have the msi laptop anymore and don't feel like installing afterburner on the pc just to show you how it should look like. Just flatline it beyond 0.9V and don't drag any points before it upwards (yet).
    But this will not solve your gpu usage spikes. If DDU-ing doesn't help, there must be some program going rogue despite your efforts - maybe something you normally use and would never suspect, something preinstalled by msi (I had some issues with some versions of SCM and dragon center related to high gpu usage), who knows. You can try looking in task manager. When you open task manager and click show more details, right click any of the top headers in processes (default should be cpu, memory, disk, network) - and also select gpu. If that doesn't reveal the culprit - I suggest to open nvidia control panel and on top click desktop -> display GPU activity icon. That way you will have a colorful icon in notification area and if you click that you see exactly which programs are using the gpu at that moment. When the gpu usage goes rogue, simply terminate them one by one in task manager (even SCM) to discover the culprit. You will know when you find the culprit cause the frequency will go back to idle. You can take it then from there.
    PS. I would only mess with the curves etc once you get the drivers/rogue programs sorted out.

Screenshot (2).png gpu notif.jpg curve.jpg

bennyg and Falkentyne like this.
  6. Vamsi Krishna Saladi

Reputations:
    Hey bro,
    I actually downgraded windows to 1607 build, which didnt have GPU monitering. And after hard trying not to damage GPU in process of upgrading to 1803 it took a while.
    Now i am not facing any hyperups on non using of laptop. And the GPU is perfectly fine now. Still need to test few things.

7. Vamsi Krishna Saladi

Reputations:
    And i also tried to set the volt-freq curve to control my GPU. but it only shifted the base and OC clock indicaters in MSI after burner indicater to lesser values than 1400 Mhz. but still GPU is running 1800+Mhz. (ps this is before upgarding to 1803 windows build) still testing new build