** 1070 laptop: GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR reboot/crash problem **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Hugodra, May 17, 2017.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was never All GP104's that had the issue, only MSI's 1070 on their custom PCB design, which most likely means it was MSI mistake

MSI RMAed and replaced the cards from people who complained. Then sold the borked GPUs to second hand dealers who sold them to people like me.

Who knows how many owners are stuck on the 8A no-turbo vbios as a "fix". The issue is moot though as the real fix, to stop the cards going above 1.013V, is no limiter at stock specs, if anything a light bump in performance due to undervolt, only at extreme OC well over 2000MHz / 150W.

streetunder likes this.
  2. 1GreyGhost1

1GreyGhost1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    try using 86.04.31.00.OC vbios you can go with a 200+ core clock and 300+ memory clock just curve at around .950mv

3. streetunder

streetunder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope people demand MSI to fix the issue or money back / new laptop, make your rights count folks!

4. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

At least, you can check in hardware if you have the good GPU, in my case i have the version 1.2 that is the new GTX1070 without the boost problem.

streetunder likes this.
  5. streetunder

streetunder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great information my man @Pedro69 !

Good job!

Pedro69 likes this.
  6. jcmTHEKID

jcmTHEKID Newbie

Reputations:
  7. rancid

rancid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just got my GT73VR 6RE and of course I have a GPU from October 2016. I see that the previous owner has already flashed the BIOS as well. If I add a +200mhz OC, will that at least get me back to the default clock speeds this thing shipped with originally from a performance standpoint?

8. jcmTHEKID

jcmTHEKID Newbie

Reputations:
    hey man, welcome to the club. in all honestly a 200mhz overclock should get you to 1845mhz. a normal notebook 1070 will boost to just under 1900 under good conditions. so you can expect similar frame rates to a regular notebook 1070. one positive about the locked voltage and overclock is stable frame rates. because the clock-speed isn't constantly shifting your fps should be very stable. also the lower voltage will produce less heat so your gpu fan should run at lower rpms and stay quieter. dont worry about it too much I know a bunch of people complain about it but i think the pros far outweigh the cons. I much prefer quiet operation and stable fps then 50 more mhz

9. rancid

rancid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks man. I am coming from a fully decked out Tornado F5 so trying to gauge my expectations accordingly for what I paid for it. :) I'll give the OC a shot once I get everything setup, previous owner blew away the recovery partition and had no idea what they were doing (installed Windows on the mechanical HD and didn't even have the SSD formatted).

10. jcmTHEKID

jcmTHEKID Newbie

Reputations:
    why did you change from a tornado f5 to the gt62vr?