** 1070 laptop: GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR reboot/crash problem **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Hugodra, May 17, 2017.

1. unlucky bedouin

unlucky bedouin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My laptop's gpu specs:
    (and crashing @ GTA V ultra settings or Euro Truck simulator low settings, Assetto Corsa or even Far Cry 1. regardless of load, and all games can run flawless for 10 minutes-2 hours, average 1hr/with Msı afterburner. but without Afterburner, average 5 10 mins) before crash.)[​IMG]

2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lol that all sounds rather familiar.

Before I understood the problem via this thread the only thing I tried that didn't crash was locking to a voltage point (the ones I chose happened to be below 1.013V)

One time I thought I had the problem kicked with a -50mhz core offset as I played through half of Shadow Warrior without a crash and then I found a spot where an autosave was triggered and that would induce a crash almost every single time

3. Barael

Barael Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks mate. I locked the voltage at somewhere just below 1 V and it seems to be working fine. I havent really understood the problem because sometimes the voltage exceeds 1.013v and it doesnt crash. Will think about installing the ''chinese vbios'' . Any advantages of installing vbios?

4. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The advantages of using the "fix" is that you won't crash. The disadvantages as far as I remember, is that you will loose potential performance as clockspeeds are locked to a lower clock.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would say avoid the 8A/turboboost-disable/"chinese" vbios. You can replicate the effect in Afterburner by editing the clock curve or immediately by locking to a fixed voltage/clock (though this will lose power savings, which you can restore by utilising AB's inbuilt profile switching). You can also retain turboboost for auto-overclocking so long as you lock out the profiles beyond 1.013V by having the curve completely flat (you stop the GPU from using higher voltages on the "curve" if the clock is no higher)

I have not had a single crash doing it this way in many many months.

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  7. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Attending power plants in maintenance periods, control systems, vibration monitoring systems and other projects.

Sometimes the holidays are packed with work hah.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

temp00876 and Falkentyne like this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Anyone here know the difference between the .44 Bios and the .3A Bios? The .8A Vbios disables voltage steps past 0.881v (thus effectively limiting clockspeeds to around 1886 mhz if a rather high manual offset is used to where things start getting unstable; +250 in this case for 1886, +225 for 1860), .82 disables even boost clocks, so the card is locked at base clocks + manual offsets (and I'm guessing, trying to use a manual offset of +400 on the .82 Bios to try to match 1886 mhz will just instantly crash, as the voltage will still be locked to the 1443 mhz point, right?), so what does the .44 Bios do that the .3A Bios does not do?

I'm literally tempted to TDP mod the .44 Bios to 195W and then flash it just because I can, but LM repasting makes this a royal and complete pain in the butthole...cuz if I don't like it I'd have to disassemble, repaste with LM again then go back to 3A with some fun TDP (I won't exceed 195W).

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  9. roman2277

roman2277 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have GT73 6RE K1609.Bios basic.(86........14) I dont have problems in games and 3DMark.Max 1873 Mhz.(with G sync and without g sync) Thx for this threads.Sorry for my english.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  10. streetunder

streetunder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, 35 pages, how can this be possible that Nvidia let this happen with the pascal cards and yet they never released an official VBIOS to fix this issue.

Its been like one year and half since the release of pascal laptops, and no official word by Nvidia or MSI.

If you have this problem, dont accept the 8A VBIOS as fix, make your rights count.

Cheers.