** 1070 laptop: GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR reboot/crash problem **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Hugodra, May 17, 2017.

1. sn00ka

sn00ka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I did 3A first and had no luck maybe i had to mess with the settings a little more before i jump into 8A. But thanks again for the knowledge scoop.

2. jaime360

jaime360 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought my gt73vr 6re when it came out so i have this buggy 1070. I´ve flashed the 8a and i do overclock with afterburner. My max clock is 1873mhz, after that games crash. Can I go higher doing what you are saying? How much? Should i RMA?

Thank you very much!

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1873 mhz is like 225 mhz overclock with boost. That's above average. Be happy with that.
    You're crashing because the maximum voltage is 0.881v which is too low for a core clock of 1880 mhz+. You can look at the curve with control F to see how it works.
    The 8A Vbios locks all voltages higher than 0.881v because there are instability problems with the higher voltage steps because of flawed hardware on the card (the 1.013v+ voltage step is unstable).

4. Andre Moreira de Menezes

Andre Moreira de Menezes Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Plee82 i believe you have the paper that MSI sent you regarding this matter since they decided to swap the defective unity for you, so could you please send me this as a proof because im experiencing the same problem but they keep with the same ******** step by step process to update bios, vbios nvdia driver and i done that and now since they have newer versions of the drivers they sent me the same answer with newer driver versions...

5. jaime360

jaime360 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Actually at 1873 crashes. It stable at 1860. So , I should keep this, no?

6. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Overclock speed of +200 or +225 crash has nothing to do with it. That just means you exceeded the limit of what you can run at 0.875v. Silicon lottery.
    what matters is having a card that can run at 1.013v and higher cuz then you can TDP mod those and gain 15%+ higher performance, depending on how high you want to go (don't pass 200W on a MSI mainboard). But the bugged cards will crash at 1.013v and higher.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  7. alks

alks Newbie

Reputations:
    Had problems with my GT73VR 6RE Titan crashing and rebooting when I first got it with the standard MSI VBIOS (even latest from their website) which just got worse and worse. Switched the VBIOS to the 8A ("Chinese") version and the vast majority of the crashes stopped. But instead I got much rarer different crashes - where the screen just hangs. Sometimes sound will continue playing a loop of whatever sound file it was playing at the time it hangs (the whole sound file, it doesn't just loop the last second or two) and sometimes sound continues on for several seconds as normal when it first hangs, before looping. The other odd thing is the mouse curse can still move around the screen, but the rest of the screen is hung. I can try to alt-tab but it just brings up the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and although I can select other apps in the alt-tab menu, I can't bring them to the forefront of the screen. To get out of the hang, I have to ctrl-alt-delete and "Sign out" from the Windows screen - which allows me to log back in straight away and start a fresh.

Now the weird thing is this only really happens in StarCraft 2. It happened a couple of times in more intensive games. I remember it did it in Overwatch and The Division once but then I disabled the NVIDIA Sound drivers in Windows' Device Manager and found I could play Overwatch and The Division for hours without problem, but it still happens in SC2 consistently. The other weird thing is it only happens around the 20 minute mark of a SC2 game. Rarely, I can get through a game without a crash, but 95% of the time it'll crash. It even crashed in the SC2 post-game menu screen once.

I read on here that one other person was having problems with SC2, is this what other people with a MSI 1070 laptop are facing? Does it seem to be specific to SC2 or is it possibly just due to SC2 being more demanding in one way or another on the card, bearing in mind all the previous problems that needed a VBIOS change or driver fixes to overcome?

It's driving me nuts because I really want to be able to play SC2 without problem!

8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Are you overclocking the core?
    Usually a freeze with you being able to move the mouse cursor and alt tab out and end task on the game (after bringing up the windows task manager) is from overclocking too far.

9. alks

alks Newbie

Reputations:
    I can't end task the game - I can bring up windows task manager but I can't bring it to the front of the screen to be able to actually do anything with it. Alt-F4 doesn't work either, nor trying to right click on the game task in the taskbar to close it.

I'm not overclocking any of the cores or memory of CPU or GPU other than what the laptop is designed to do in Turbo mode (40 each CPU core, 0Mhz for GPU core and 200Mhz for GPU memory).

10. Arestavo

Arestavo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Next time try pressing these keys (at the same time):

Windows Key + Shift + Ctrl + B

What that does is clear the video buffer, among other input device caches, as well as resets the video driver. This might restore your video, yet it really isn't a fix for the problem that you are experiencing and it may cause the game to crash. (Speaking of, if it is just SC2 that is crashing now you might want to try a reinstall of the game as some files might have been corrupted and could be causing the lock ups)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    bennyg likes this.