** 1070 laptop: GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR reboot/crash problem **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Hugodra, May 17, 2017.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lol RMA... ebay purchase of ex-vortex MSI 1070s, vBIOS edited with 170W power limit, bunged into an Ivy bridge clevo :)

Also I have to use a non gsync vbios so can't use 8A anyway.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    hmscott, Kevin@GenTechPC and plee82 like this.
  2. Xdrqgol

Xdrqgol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have seen someone with the following configuration:
    MSI GT73VR 7RE i7 7820HK / GTX 1070 which has the same issue like mentioned in this thread...
    *I had the impression that this will happen on old models only...or am I missing something?

On my side, did another test with Ghost Recon Wildlands, and no crash (pfiu).

hmscott likes this.
  3. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    As a side comment, the GT73VR I had with serial 1608 seems to be working fine. Sold it to a friend and he has had 0 crashes on a multitude of tests and games so far.

hmscott likes this.
  4. kowell

kowell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm looking for the vbios update for a GT62VR-6RE but the newest one available on MSI's website is 86.04.31.00.0D dating from 2016-09-09
    Is there a newer version out there or can the 8A from the GT73 be used safely ?

5. sn00ka

sn00ka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey all, I am new to the overclocking scene recently purchased a MSI GT73VR 7RE Titan (serial starts with K1702) , I was able to OC @ +235 core (was the limit before it crashes, 1678mhz) / +220 memory.. Now I currently have the 86.04.5B.00.82 vBios (sets base & boost at 1443). Is this limiting me? 8A needed for me to achieve higher? Only vbios version MSI has is the 3A. Thanks for any input.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Why do you have the .82 vbios? That Bios sucks. It disables boost clocks completely and is a troubleshooting Bios. What happened to the original Bios you had?
    The 3A Bios should have been the original Bios for the 7RE. The GT72VR I believe comes with the "0D" Vbios. the .82 vbios is horrible. Get rid of it.

Generally speaking, if you are using a *TDP LIMITED* card, the 8A Vbios will usually give you better results because the clock speeds will be more stable and will fluctuate less, giving you more stable frametimes. If you decide to buy a HW programmer and unlock the TDP (up to 185W, do NOT go higher), then you should use the 3A Vbios, because the 8A vbios will not use any voltage point on the curve (Control F in MSI afterburner) higher than 0.881v. With a TDP unlocked card, the 3A Vbios will be much faster. But at 115W TDP limit (the stock TDP), you may get better results with 8A. That's because you would just be repeatedly hitting the power limit a lot more often on the 3A, at higher voltage points. You can do Valley and 3dmark firestrike benches to compare them if you enjoy benching. Remember to turn off the laptop after flashing. Rebooting will not give proper results (example: flashing 3A to 8A and rebooting will make 8A use the full voltage curve, making it no different than 3A; you need to actually power down).

Why don't you try them for yourself and test them and compare them?

Just remember, after flashing, you must SHUT DOWN the laptop completely. Do not simply reboot. Rebooting will not refresh the changed registers properly.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Kevin@GenTechPC and sn00ka like this.
  7. sn00ka

Reputations:
    Awesome Thanks for the swift reply Falkentyne, Will give it a go!

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Have you obtained the vBIOS already?

9. sn00ka

Reputations:
    Yeah 8A is stable & smooth @ +228 (1873mhz) / +115 memory so far. Anything in the 1880-1900+ is an insta-crash. Not sure if more TDP is needed? correct me if i am wrong.

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    TDP won't help that by itself. Voltage will. But 8A is voltage capped at 0.881v. I explained earlier that if you had TDP, you want 3A Bios.
    Yes you can use 3A, which will go up to 1.063v, but the power limit will hold you back and prevent you from seeing benefits because you would just get throttled anyway. But that's because you will be able to exceed 0.881v.
    If you used 3A and set higher than +228mhz, you would crash at a different voltage point. You need to test this by yourself and find what is best for you.