** 1070 laptop: GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR reboot/crash problem **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Hugodra, May 17, 2017.

1. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even at non OC 8A vbios 1645mhz will not have issues with games at 1080p.

2. Arestavo

Arestavo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are MSI's phone support lines borked? I've been on hold for 45 minutes waiting to talk to someone so I can get a manager of sufficient authority to fix their mess.

Ha. So wait on hold for 50+ minutes to be told not a single manager is in. Sounds like a line of BS to me. Supposedly not a single manager comes in until 900 AM PST. And as a cherry on top, the rep said that they dont replace laptops, just repair them. To which I responded that the repair depot has had the laptop in three times, and a total of four months, and hadn't fixed it yet - and all they had to do to verify the white screen/no video out was to let the laptop sit there while logged in. And when the screen goes white just reboot it, and POOF! No video out.

That's a good way to piss me off more, I tell you.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    USA working hours don't usually start until 9 AM. Plus we just got off a 3 day major holiday weekend.
    You need to speak to a supervisor about the problem. And even though it's going to be difficult, you need to keep an even, calm tone about the issue. I honestly don't know their case load or what they go through, but sometimes, finding the correct person is half the success. And who did you buy the laptop from anyway? MSI? Or a reseller?

If you can get someone to be convinced that you need replacement for a completely new laptop with a newer revision 1070, or better yet, ditch the SLI and ask them for a single card upgrade for the same price, even if you have to pay the difference (1070 SLI->1080), 6820hk->7820hk, that might be your best bet. And the next time you send it in for this, make sure you explain on paper, in the box, exactly what the issue is and what it takes to reproduce it, and all the different conditions required for triggering the bug. For all we know they might just run 3dmark and that's it.
    Forgot the SLI attachment--you don't want nor need SLI. What you need is a fully working, dependable laptop. That's the priority.

I hope you can convince them to swap out for a new model. Make sure you are assertive without yelling; raging won't help anything, and good luck.

ryzeki likes this.
  4. Arestavo

Reputations:
    I actually did type up how to reproduce it the second time I sent it back and that didn't help - they just said, as with this last time, that it failed 3DMark and they replaced the GPUs (for the second time).

I spoke with a manager, hours after calling support 3 times, and it's off to a repair depot for the 4th time. The only difference is that the manager will be the go between if they have issues reproducing the laughably easy to reproduce issue.

The manager alluded to the fact that all they can do is try and repair it, not replace it. If they can't figure out how to leave a laptop powered on for a couple of hours and wake up the screen (not sleep mode, that's off), then I'm going to have to take them to small claims court for a lemon that they can't figure out how to fix.

Pretty ****ty that this laptop has a 1 year warranty, ALMOST HALF of which will be gone by the time I get it back again. And that assumes they fix it the 4th go around. I haven't been able to use this POS since May!

Oh, and I would have sent this back for a refund to Newegg, but they don't do refunds on that laptop. Go figure as to why there was a rebate on that POS model.

The singular saving grace is that they have been footing the shipping bill since the start (literally since day one of ownership is when this was obvious, I just couldn't RMA to Newegg again since I cut off that rebate tag). Now, if they could just fix the ****ing thing that'd be just great.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    After that long in the shop I'd request a free warranty extension be added to your laptop. And a free Lobster and Steak Dinner ;)

Now that you've got the manager's ear, after he thinks it's fixed will be a good time for a thank you and that request.

6. Arestavo

Reputations:
    Just got an email from MSI's repair depot, and they can't figure out how to make the easily, highly repeatable white screen issue appear - even though I wrote it all out for them.

Sigh. I've got a feeling that I'm going to have to take them to small claims court to get this resolved.

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wild, it does happen though, being the repairing end "unable to reproduce" isn't uncommon, frustrating though.

Tell them you'd like them to try again, with a different technician.

Sometimes shipping will "fix" a problem, bouncing around and when they work on it it won't show, then you get it back and "poof" it starts up again.

Can you return it to the seller for another one? Maybe call newegg and tell the what is going on and ask for them to swap one or for the to tell MSI to swap on for you?

8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have been trialling a -50MHz core offset for a few weeks now, i.e. letting it turboboost as normal, zero crashes.

hmscott likes this.
  9. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is not the clock speed that causes crashes. It is the voltage on boost 2. I tested this and the crashes start at anything greater than 1.013v. As long as you keep it max 1.013v, no crashes.

10. Arestavo

Reputations:
    It's been 5 months, Newegg won't RMA it since they have a 30 day window AND I had removed the UPC for a rebate offer - I tried after the repair depot didn't fix the problem(s) the first time I sent it to MSI.

The supervisor at MSI's repair depot has already stated that they can't do anything but try and repair it again and again unless they can replicate the issue - then they might swap me a different laptop or something else.

Likely I'll be buying a video camera and tripod to gather unbroken video evidence of this occurrence happening if they really can't replicate it - Something that I'd prefer not wasting my money on unless I can recoup that cost.

And it's not like this problem isn't easily repeatable - it has happened every time that I have copied part of my games over (I've got about 4 TB worth) - and that's excluding the times that the white screen issue has popped up when looping the Valley benchmark.

hmscott likes this.