** 1070 laptop: GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR reboot/crash problem **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Hugodra, May 17, 2017.

1. Hugodra

Hugodra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Purchased msi gt72vr 7re back in March,

While playing games the system rebooted randomly,

Sent the laptop to msi, they installed BIOS 86.04.5B.00.82 and limits 1070 clock to 1443mhz.

Msi told me they are working with nvidia to resolve this issue, but it seems is taking a lot of time and the 6RE version of this laptop, from August 2016, suffers from this.

This is a warning to people that are interested in buying a msi laptop with 1070 gtx.

- Bios version installed by MSI, 86.04.5B.00.82, DEBUG vBIOS, clocks 1443/3606
    - Dragon Gaming Center / Turbo mode does not work
    - Loss of 5/10 fps on games and benchmarks
    - Loss of 600mhz, before it could reach 1900mhz while playing games
    - Affects other MSI models with 1070, GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR
    - The GT72VR 6RE, laptop from August 2016, has this issue, so its been months and no official fix

How to know if you are affected:
    - Defective units: K1608N, K1609, K1610N, K1611N - not all of them, a few of them
    - Working units: K1703N - all 2017 builds
    - Play low-stress games like Witcher 1, AC Black Flag, Wolfenstein New Order, etc
    - Use default settings: Bios, Nvidia, gpu/cpu clock

Real solution:
    "The vbios isn't bad. The problem isn't with MSI directly. The problem was Nvidia releases some 1070 cards with had problems with the "boost 2" clocks. The 8A Bios disables the boost 2 clocks that occur above the boost clocks. Most of the 2017/Gen7 models have a newer revision of the GTX 1070 which fixes this problem."
    - Ask MSI for refund or new GPU with new revision, or a new laptop.

Other solutions:
    - Install 8A vbios boost to 1650mhz
    - Install vbios official and use afterburner to downclock the gpu boost

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=281110.0

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=280126.100

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=281873.0

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=276367.0

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=278750.0

Question for msi owners with 1070gtx laptop:

Is your 1070 gpu working good?

Let me know!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Atma and RalfTech like this.
  2. heliada

heliada Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Hugodra, I found plenty gaming videos on youtube with the gt72vr running gtx 1070 while waiting for mine to come back from MSI. User deadphoenix86: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeadPhoenix86 ... his card is overclocked and he never had issues with it, in some videos you can clearly see it boost over 1900 MHz, but mostly actually keeps above 1600 (afterburner ftw). Thus it seems it CAN run at those speeds with no issues. His temps are also ridiculously low, not sure how that's even possible as he claims his laptop stands on switched off laptop pad and has only the cooler booster on... But yeah, he got very lucky. If you have more questions you can also contact him (regarding vbios etc), he has replied to every comment I posted on his videos and seems really helpful. ;)

Hugodra likes this.
  3. Hugodra

Reputations:
    Thank you.

Coolerboost 4 does cool the laptop way down, but makes a lot of noise.

4. Rain777

Rain777 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do you know your version build? In my serial number showed by msi help desk there isn't any K letter...

Hugodra likes this.
  5. heliada

heliada Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My serial number was just stuck onto the box. K1610n here, atm at msi for warranty.

Hugodra likes this.
  6. Rain777

Reputations:
    My S/N is K1611 and the vbios installed is 86.04.31.00.0D. How can i check if my notebook is affected by this problem? The core frequency during game reaches over 1800 sometimes and it crashed only one time so far.

Hugodra likes this.
  7. heliada

heliada Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well... do you ever get any game freezing/crashing onto desktop/crashing the notebook completely? This also has to appear across many games for it to be a notebook rather than game specific issue. I guess the only way is to play a lot and see?

oh and if you do experience issues, try to update your vbios and stuff, there seems to be a more recent one on the support page for your model.

Hugodra and Rain777 like this.
  8. Rain777

Reputations:
    One major crash with reboot so far, but I own this notebook only for a month. Any particular game, benchmark that is known for causing crashes?

Hugodra likes this.
  9. heliada

heliada Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    To be honest, a single crash can be caused by anything and as long as it doesn't happen repeatedly you probably have nothing to worry about. Other than the issue Hugodra is talking about, it can be caused by a bad driver, by error in windows, by many other things including viruses. Some with this problem seem to crash consistently within minutes in pretty much any game, for some it seems more random. Turbo speeds over 1800 MHz on the card appear to be intended and also nothing to worry about. My old asus suffered from random shut downs every couple weeks and tbh, I lived with it for 4 years before figuring out it was probably a faulty hdd or whatever my bf did when exchanging it for SSD. Just learn to save stuff often. It's useful even if the machine works like a wonder, cause one day it may just stop. By the end of the day, you have warranty to lean on if you believe sth is really wrong.

10. Hugodra

Reputations:
    One major crash in what game? keep playing that game and see if that happens again.

3D Mark Ice Storm, test it,

Other games: Ghost Recon Wildlands, Wolfenstein New Order

Yes he needs to worry about, MSI doest not repair the laptop or exchange for a new one, all they do is install a vbios that limits the GPU clock regarding this issue.

In other words, you are not getting the full performance you paid for.

They said to me to wait for a new vbios that will fix everthing, but theres many folks with this problem since July 2016, 10 months almost and no new vbios !