** 1070 laptop: "bd prochot" causing cpu throttling to 800MHz and stuttering **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by streetunder, Feb 13, 2018.

1. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well in my case they wouldn't even tell me what was in fact wrong with the laptop, they just said since it was under a year old and has been in service for a total of 4 months out of that time (on and off not in one go) and was faulty for most of the rest of the time, that I would just get a new one. It also has its issues but tbh, it's the best laptop with uncompromising desktop performance (if you are willing to repaste with liquid metal OR deal with loud fans and I don't... so I undervolted the hell out of it and it's still amazing).

Pyrochase likes this.
  2. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On my situation, they replaced on the second time I sent it for repair due to unsolved problems of BD Prochot, but I had to insist that they could not solve the problem. They ended up admitting that and proposed a replacement (MSI GT63 Titan 8RG).

But it will depend on your country consumer law and also if MSI has available units for your country as well. Besides me, all other folks from Portugal had refund. Heliada also got a replacement proposed by MSI.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Pyrochase and Pedro69 like this.
  3. Pyrochase

Pyrochase Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, after talking with MSI for a whole month, I didn’t get a clear answer on how to fix the problem with BD Prochot without turning it off and how to deal with a drop to 2.7 GHz. Now I am on a business trip, and I can not send a laptop - since it is now my workstation.
    I decided to undervolt the GPU. But after installing MSI Afterburner and unlocking the Core Voltage slider, I noticed that Core Voltage is counted in % and not in mV.
    How do i properly undervolt my GPU? Thank for answers.

4. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Are you not able to add offset to the temperature that BD Prochot kicks in the BIOS? Been using that way on my GS65 though.

5. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @hackness, unfortunately the problem is not that simple. GT72VR suffers from random BD Prochot triggering. It has no known configuration pattern to solve it. The offset is set to 0 in BIOS by default.
    When the machine is under load (for example, playing or using CPU at 100% with GPU stress test), BD Prochot kicks in even with temperatures as low as 75ºC.

It is a power problem and not an offset problem. When you disable the BD Prochot, the CPU has a drop down to 2.7Ghz.
    So the guys having GT72VR 7RE bought under performing machines due to bad system engineering.

Only solution is RMA for machine replacement. For those choosing to keep these defective machines, they need ot feel fine having an extremely over-priced under-performing machine.

GT62VR 7RE is also affected in the very same way.
    Wish the best of luck for those who still have these machines, specially because a significant number of these machines will be without warranty really soon and MSI will just wash their hands off the problem for sure.

EDIT:
    I really don't know why MSI does not proactively contact these users as they know that the problem exists for more than a year. For the sake of transparency and customer focus they should be doing that. It is really sad to see things like this happening and the brand just ignores the problem. They should at least do something like the car brands: Do a defect communication with recall order.
    But no... Let's keep it invisible... I don't understand the strategy here honestly.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    tiliarou, Pyrochase, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  6. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You need to use the voltage curve in msi afterburner. Press ctrl+f, then (you can OC at this point if you want by dragging the entire curve upwards first while holding down shift key - I recommend +100MHz). OCing is optional but should be applied before you undervolt (as once you drag it holding down shift the curve turns to default). Then you can undervolt - find the point corresponding with between .8 and .9V (depending how far you wanna go), then make the curve totally horizontally flat to the right of it. It's important for it to be totally flat.

Falkentyne likes this.