** 1070 laptop: "bd prochot" causing cpu throttling to 800MHz and stuttering **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by streetunder, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    “HW bug” what is that Kevin?

Edit: Hardware bug o_O

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  2. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    deleted

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. KHAMAN

KHAMAN Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello @streetunder ,Have you found the permanent solution? I have the same laptop and going through the same issue.

4. Pedro69

Reputations:
    I can give some info about what hapenned in a case of 3 guys from Portugal...and im one of them.

I was the first that discovered this issue here in foruns of NBR, @heliada was the first posting in msi foruns website, streetunder was the first guy discovering the issue with bad gpus.

@streetunder was able to recieve a refund and buyed a desktop machine after many RMAs, he not had only the problem with BD-Prochot...he also got the issue with bad GPU that causes some bsods and could be fixed with a VBios that limits the clock of GPU.

I also had the problem of BD-Prochot and after some RMAs i was able to get a refund to buy a new GT75-8RG and till now not get any issue with this problem, the laptop is amazing.

@JNogueira had the same situation and MSI gave him a new GT63 and also not have the issue anymore.

@heliada was able to get also get a new GT75 proposed by MSI as change.

Pedro69/JNogueira/streetunder, we are all from Portugal and we got the problem fixed buy switching the machines. I was able to fix the problem removing the BD-Prochot feature in Bios and using undervolt in cpu, but we want a laptop that not need removing features like BD-Prochot.

JNogueira likes this.
  5. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just to add more info, I have a friend that has a GT62VR 7RE with exactly the same problem that is going through the process.

He received the machine on the past Tuesday where VGA was replaced, one of the fans was also replaced (faulty) and they flashed a "firmware" that they don't explain what it is and what fixes (like happened to me).
    The problem is still present (BD prochot).

Monday he will be sending again the machine and this time it will most likely be replaced by the GT63 (still to know if by a titan 8RF or 8RG).

Don't wait and contact your msi local support.

Good luck.
    Cheers

heliada likes this.
  6. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just feel like msi would be better off actually fixing the issue. Replacements and refunds probably cost more than paying a technician to snoop all over one of these defective machines. I mean, this must be fixable even if it meant to have to resolder some components on the motherboard - which most likely cost just a few cents.
    But to say the truth, my old gt72vr had a few more minor issues as well: it had a pretty bad coil whine, the subwoofer cover popped off, it blue screened with newer versions of dragon center and when undervolting the gpu (which is how they stopped bd prochot), you could clearly feel the game wasn't smooth anymore. So yeah, there was no way to make it run well from my side. It's weird though as I run my gt75 1080 gpu undervolted and there is no issue with it, everything is still nice and smooth.

7. JNogueira

JNogueira Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is the same with my GT63.
    Didn't try GPU UV yet.

How did you do the GPU UV and how much did you manage to decrease?

Cheers

8. heliada

Reputations:
    Well undervolting a gpu means essentially locking it to a certain voltage and not allowing it to draw more. Can be done easily in msi afterburner using the curve. Just press ctrl+f when afterburner is open. Then I recommend overclocking by +150 or so and making the curve flat beyond 0.9V - that will prevent it from reaching higher voltage. But I noticed that even when you set it to apply at startup, the curve doesn't apply correctly so you might have to open it every time after a startup and press apply (just create a profile with your fav settings)

Attached Files:

Vistar Shook and JNogueira like this.
  9. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Perhaps a problem with your version, my MSI AFterBurner works great with the option "Apply overclocking at system startup"

10. heliada

Reputations:
    It totally applies it somewhat. But sometimes instead of 0.9V lock it might reach 0.95V or even 1V briefly at some points if I don't click apply again. If I click apply once again after startup it doesn't happen.