** 1070 laptop: "bd prochot" causing cpu throttling to 800MHz and stuttering **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by streetunder, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @heliada

MSI from Portugal told me that they fixed the laptop... Could this be true or i will recieve a new VBios? They not sent me a tracking code to see where is the laptop not even MSI center told what they did to fix the issue...

2. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know. My laptop came with the vbios at first. It took a while to convince them otherwise, but it's possible they did find the problem in the end. You will see - worst case you have to install the normal vbios and send it again.

Pedro69 likes this.
  3. Pedro69

Reputations:
    How many times you sent the laptop to the center? 2 right?

4. heliada

Reputations:
    With this problem 2 times, but I also sent it before for other problems. And there were other issues with the laptop, the subwoofer cover popped off and it was vibrating loudly with loud music, it had a rather loud coil whine... And the time I spent troubleshooting their drivers made me quite mad (nahimic, dragon center, true color, realtek,...). It was unusable out of the box lets say.
    Also the 2nd time it went with bd prochot they at first could not find the issue (because they installed the limiting vbios) and by that time I knew about the laptop more than the technician in the netherlands which probably impressed him. Also I had EXTRA warranty on it, you don't, right? I think the extra warranty I purchased also helped me in the end.
    Don't forget it's been a while since they were troubleshooting my laptop, I am kinda sure they must have more info on it now.

5. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Hey guys!!!

I recieve my GT72VR-7RE back and i notice that the Vbios is 86.04.5B.00.8A...on paper that is inside of laptop box say that gpu was changed and MSI Portugal confirmed also that today.

I cant check now with mafia 3, but i will do some tests and see if the problem still the same.

6. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  7. heliada

Reputations:
    @Pedro69 the defect will not show up with that vbios even if it's still faulty and even if they exchanged the gpu. It limits it to 1645MHz and 0.88V or so and with that it will run.

8. Pedro69

Reputations:
    For now i just saw that the termal pads on gpu were changed for the same pads when the laptop was openned for the first time...the artic pads still are the same on cpu(was me that changed those).

This chinese .8A Vbios was the same when you recieve the laptop?

I know that can up the MHz in gpu with MSI AfterBurner even with 8A Vbios but i need check first in games.

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Check the barcode sticker on the MXM card.

Pedro69 likes this.
  10. heliada

Reputations:
    Yeah the 8a vbios was on my laptop the first time too. You can up the clock but not the voltage. Honestly you didn't have to send it in for that "fix" lol.