** 1070 laptop: "bd prochot" causing cpu throttling to 800MHz and stuttering **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by streetunder, Feb 13, 2018.

1. heliada

heliada Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tested the new laptop gt75 8rg thoroughly on stock settings. The noise is bad, the temps are awful (up to 90 degrees on cpu and 85 on gpu with stress testing both at the same time - room temp of 23 or 24... after the stress test it feels more like 27 haha, it's a mini heater).... but the performance is actually up to par with a desktop. According to HWinfo, the gpu can pull up to 217W and CPU up to 95W or so. Now don't ask me how is all that powered through the poor 330W brick that is meanwhile getting very hot under my desk. I noticed no throttling even when benchmarking cpu+gpu at the same time.
    I can assure everyone that battery does in fact drain slowly while gaming so whatever msi says the gt72vr was most certainly supposed to do the same. Next step: resolve some temperature problems.

Papusan likes this.
  2. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

90°C on cpu:eek: You need undervolt that hot dog...

Since you cant overclock on 8750H you should get a good undervolt on it.

3. heliada

Reputations:
    Actually I can overclock it up to 4.1ghz on all cores but won't bother with these temps. I did some voltage tweaking already and it's now 81 degrees max. Still need to repaste though :)

4. Pedro69

Reputations:
    8750H not is locked?

5. heliada

Reputations:
    It is partially unlocked with max multiplier set to x41 (which means you can set it manually anywhere from 800MHz to 4.1GHz on all cores). It will not go beyond 4.1GHz but I think it is more than enough.
    By default it is already up to 3.9GHz on all 6 cores so imho the difference of 200MHz is not worth the tinkering.

6. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Well i think that will buy a laptop like you...i though that only 8850H was partially unlocked...since the machine will be only for gaming mostly, 8750H will do a good job in that case. Any throttling?

7. heliada

Reputations:
    There is no throttling at all. Even running throttlestop benchmark and unigine heaven at the same time. CPU is dead set at 3.9GHz, GPU never drops below 1800 MHz. The battery does discharge when playing intensive games though. It needs repasting etc. I would not recommend to pay full price for it if you can live with a desktop at all - you will save several hundred euro and have a lot cooler and a whole lot less loud experience.
    The gt75 is louder than the gt72vr by a LOT (maybe because the vents on the sides let all the noise reach your ears better). If I was offered money back I would get a pc, but I wasn't.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    But people in this thread claim otherwise. Could be because of different brand?

I have mine with -122mv, yet it hits thermal limit (95º) within seconds :confused: Its repasted with gelid gc extreme, and thankfully, while playing it only hits 80s to mid 80s max.

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Then something is wrong with either the heatsink or the mount. Or you just totally completely messed up hard.
    Buy some pressure paper and test your mount.

Another trick if you can NOT buy pressure paper, is to do a ghetto test:
    Remove HS from computer. Clean HS and CPU 100% fully and completely.
    Apply a thermal paste "drop" about HALF the size of a rice grain. Smaller is better. Then mount the heatsink and screw it down (do NOT make ANY horizontal movements) then remove the screws and remove it. The spread pattern should show whether you have a imbalance or pressure problem or not.

10. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I will try, on stress test I noticed core 0 and 2 get to mid 90s while core 1 and 3 get to ""just" high 80s.

EDIT: I repasted using less paste and screwed it without horizontal/vertical movements. Now the temperatures are almost 10º down from the tiny stress test I did.

This is how it looked on my original repaste:

And this is the ghetto test:

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 6:58 PM