** 1070 laptop: "bd prochot" causing cpu throttling to 800MHz and stuttering **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by streetunder, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But people in this thread claim otherwise. Could be because of different brand?

I have mine with -122mv, yet it hits thermal limit (95º) within seconds :confused: Its repasted with gelid gc extreme, and thankfully, while playing it only hits 80s to mid 80s max.

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Then something is wrong with either the heatsink or the mount. Or you just totally completely messed up hard.
    Buy some pressure paper and test your mount.

Another trick if you can NOT buy pressure paper, is to do a ghetto test:
    Remove HS from computer. Clean HS and CPU 100% fully and completely.
    Apply a thermal paste "drop" about HALF the size of a rice grain. Smaller is better. Then mount the heatsink and screw it down (do NOT make ANY horizontal movements) then remove the screws and remove it. The spread pattern should show whether you have a imbalance or pressure problem or not.

3. Temp1234453

Reputations:
    I will try, on stress test I noticed core 0 and 2 get to mid 90s while core 1 and 3 get to ""just" high 80s.

EDIT: I repasted using less paste and screwed it without horizontal/vertical movements. Now the temperatures are almost 10º down from the tiny stress test I did.

This is how it looked on my original repaste:

And this is the ghetto test:

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  4. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Thank you for your pictures.
    You can help improve the core temp differentials by using 0.5mm thermal pads on the VRMs and chokes instead of 1mm (on the GT73VR, GT75VR, GT72VR and GT72S; do not know about your exact system)
    But let's look at your problem.

This issue, with cores 0 and 2 being 10C hotter than cores 1 and 3, happen on ALL MSIBOOKS with the VRM's above the CPU like yours. The problem is caused by a "combination" of the thermal pad cooling on the VRM's (causing extra elevation on that side) AND combined with a CONVEX heatsink. This is a difficult problem to pinpoint since more than one factor causes it. Do you see the CPU paste in the first picture? Notice how it seems to be CONCENTRATED more on the side CLOSER to the VRMs?? That means there is LESS HEATSINK PRESSURE on the CPU CORE on that area, so the paste gets 'pushed' from the higher pressure area (bottom) to the lower pressure area (top). Despite there being "more" paste, the extreme lack of pressure causes high core temp differences! You can see the copied pattern on the heatsink itself. Unfortunately it's extremely difficult to fix this problem by only one method. Often using thinner thermal pads combined with careful sitting of the heatsink can fix things. But if the pressure is TOO low, even if it seems balanced for awhile, a 4C core temp difference can become 10C after 1 week due to paste dryout on the lower pressure sides

I fixed this problem on my GT73VR by using thinner thermal pads *AND* sanding the heatsink fully flat.

5. Temp1234453

Reputations:
    Thanks for your input. Now "only" core 1 is like 10º higher than the lowest:

https://imgur.com/a/ic5r1St

Would those pads do the trick? What about those?

6. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    This means the BOTTOM LEFT core has weak contact OR no paste. Do you remember what i told you about a convex heatsink?
    Did you fill the ENTIRE CPU SLUG WITH PASTE? A BGA CPU is *NOT* a IHS LGA CPU! THERE CAN NOT BE ANY GAPS in paste on the CPU surface!! If there are ANY GAPS you MUST MAKE SURE THE PASTE COVERS THE ENTIRE CPU!.

I used Arctic 0.5mm thermal pads. but i dont know about your system. It's different than a GT73VR, but the VRM layout is very similar.

7. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A bit too much paste in the ghetto test.

8. Temp1234453

Reputations:
    What do you mean the CPU slug? Sorry, english isnt my native language. I think I put enough paste, just a tiny bit more than the ghetto test.
    The screws are tight, and I used the inverse order of the screw numbers (12 to 1).
    Should have took a pic of the mobo without the heatsink, but I think there are 4 VRMs on top of the CPU.

Also, how do you know the core#1 is at the bottom left? Is there any pic or document where I can see the core positions? Its useful to know.

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    He was talking about the thermal paste/compound, so you gotta apply this paste fully onto the surface of processor, because if it's not applied well, then the heat may not spread efficiently to the heatsink.

Pedro69 likes this.
  10. Temp1234453

Reputations:
    You mean using the spread method instead of the pea one?

11. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    The "pea" method is only for testing pressure. You don't use your laptop like that. Because if the paste doesn't spread perfectly evenly, you have a pressure problem.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.