** 1070 laptop: "bd prochot" causing cpu throttling to 800MHz and stuttering **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by streetunder, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I still want to see someone with a USA GT72VR 7RE EC RAM dump in RW Everything to see if those EC registers at EC RAM locations C5 and C6 have 9E and C1, or if they have 00 and 00 there.
    Because I find it hard to believe that NO GT72VR had this but EVERY other MSI laptop ever since the GT60 had it !!! MSI recycles code. Even the 16L13 has NOS (battery boost).
    Because in that case, EVERY user in the world would have had BD Prochot throttling on a GT72VR and this issue would have been raised long ago, rather than so late. One person NOT in europe posted his EC RAM dump and it had 00 and 00 in those locations also. Maybe I should just forget about it and accuse MSI of producing a defective laptop. But some things I just can't let go.

And it's bothering me to no end. Maybe because I have nothing else to do in my life except suffer.

GT60 EC RAM (battery is removed; "41" in EC RAM register C6 means NOS is disabled and system is being throttled.
    GT60 EC.JPG

2. heliada

heliada Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Falkentyne you should totally let it go. You can't do anything about it :) Anyway since your gt72vr did in fact drain battery (you said you had it for a little while), then no, it is not possible ALL of them are like this. Also the older gt72 and gt72s are actually listed on msi website as having hybrid power officially and it is the same motherboard. Maybe something got corrupted in firmware at some point in the poor things' lives that no amount of resets and reinstalls solves, maybe msi will figure it out and release some fix for it. Or they won't. Who knows? I just hope that whoever else has such laptop, that they find out within warranty. That's all.

Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  3. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    If only I could rep 2 times in a row.....

Papusan likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I will rep him her. Why bother anymore? Let all the Jokes run into the deapest sea and you should never ever look back. Move on to the bright side of life. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    heliada likes this.
  5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Her....not him.

heliada and Papusan like this.
  6. k1ny

k1ny Newbie

Reputations:
    sorry for my bad English first.I'm a Chinese.
    hey,FaIkentyne.I am a owner of GT72S laptop with i7 6700HQ and 1070.I met the low-frequency problem like @heliada recently.
    Thought the problem may isn't about BIOS or EC.It's just a design fault by MSI.
    Low CPU frequency is the just first step.After this you may met something like power plan changed between AC/battery when GPU load is full with lower monitor brightness.Finally you can not boot your laptop anymore.
    This problem happened since HM87 Chipset productions sold, including HM170/CM236(GT72S-1782/1783) and HM175(GT72VR-1785) .(HM170/CM236/HM175 are almost same,the only difference is HM175 cut some additional components like thunder bolt,DIMM slots etc.)
    It's a design fault about power supply.

In China,MSI has so many production lines,so someone who paid to repair MSI laptops could get PCB design drawings,and they told me this problem caused by MSI using cheap components on mainrborad (maybe Capacitance?they wouldn't tell me details),they are not reliable. This design fault existed and affected HM170/CM236(GT72S-1782/1783) and HM175(GT72VR-1785).
    GT73 and laptops after GT72VR are not affected because they changed design.
    I sent my laptop to repair last week.After they replaced components and tested for me.The frequency-drop problem is improved.The lowest frequency just stopped at 2.5GHZ,close to default clock without any changes in BIOS.Maybe two or three days later the laptop will get back.I'll do more tests and post result.
    By the way,Windows update and Dragon center could be culprit too.Uninstall Dragon center solved some people's problem,worth a shot.Dragon center is like XTU,so it would override options in BIOS and make problems happen.

Falkentyne likes this.
  7. heliada

heliada Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's what I've been saying the whole time, faulty motherboard. Might also explain the coil whine I had that changed with cpu load and frequency. I also read about multiple msi desktop motherboards with bd prochot problem but even more severe, as in cpu staying at 800mhz permanently. The thing is, in China they might actually fix the problem (if you ask me throttling to 2.5 still means there is something wrong) but I know for a fact here in eu they would just replace the motherboard with another one which also has the problem or might have it in the future. China is the msi's headquarters, the factory is there too and they have a lot more knowledge than anyone else about the laptops. The question is whether they admit to the faulty design and honour warranties for this even after the warranty is actually over. I don't see that happening. Same as I don't see them recalling the faulty ones in big numbers. It won't happen and most people won't know till the warranty is over I believe.

Falkentyne likes this.
  8. k1ny

k1ny Newbie

Reputations:
    Throttling to 2.5GHZ means problem still there,right.But I thought it would be something about software.I remembered that It's been a long while MSI stopped selling GT72S or GT72VR.GT72VR 1070 version pushed in 2016 and discontinued in 2017.That was why you can't see recalling.Maybe all problems are solved during warranty.I don't know why in other region they keep selling till 2018.And at start,model 1782/1783/1785 in China mostly is not designed for 10 series card.It's designed for 9 series mobile video card.Although TDPs are almost same(980M TDP@100W M1070 TDP@115W),but they didn't re-design motherborad,so performance problems happened.
    Chinese consumers give MSI a nickname"cheap-MICRO STAR INTERNATIONAL" is only because they cut important design to reduce cost before.
    And another problem is,something fault existed in video card too.Maybe you've just got Ver 1.0 MSI 1070 with GT72VR.It's the first batch,and MSI fxxxed it up.The earlier 1.0 1070 used Micron memory and to improve performance,they set memory frequency and Voltage too high.This also including desktop version GTX1070.That's really terrible.Many people sued MSI in the Consumer Association.After that,they released VBIOS to fix it,but it's not exactly same to yours,this VBIOS wouldn't change performance(lower voltage etc.),but made it more stable.
    Not so long,they produced 1070 Ver1.2 with Samsung memory particles.No problem.
    Maybe just because a lot of Chinese people know knowledge about electronic engineering,so MSI can't trick them and stopped producing.I see that in China most people have GT72VR are with 1070 Ver1.2,only a few people got ver1.0 and they solved problems.
    I guess MSI noticed the problem,but they keep selling in Eu or other regions just because almost no one posted problem,and MSI think they could trick others.Maybe in China,Consumers' Association is so strict,anything wrong with productions may lead punishment to MSI,so they are really careful.But in Eu seems they are Indifferent.If you didn't keep contact MSI,maybe you just can only get your Video updated with vbios and worse performance.
    Also,some other laptop model like p775dm1(clevo)also have this problem.I saw a guy own a I7 5th Gen CPU with GT72 sent email to TAIWAN HQ,and engineer wrote a special BIOS fixed problem.Maybe just something wrong with Intel too,not only MSI.

Papusan, Pedro69 and Falkentyne like this.
  9. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Uh Oh...pinging @Mr. Fox , @Papusan @Kittys you guys had better have a look at this. Looks like all of you were right....wow.....just wow wow wow.....

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. k1ny

k1ny Newbie

Reputations:
    And one more thing,problem fixed since GT73,so you don't need to worry that same thing would happen to your new laptop.Also I suggest that don't put MSI laptop to your first choice when you decide to buy a new laptop.Before producing GT70,MSI is not competitive.GT72 made MSI competitive,but they left a lot of problems unsolved until GT73 pushed.Clevo machine is better.,just don't know their service in EU is good or not.
    I just found another guy in China use clevo 751dm with 1070 have same problem long time ago,but it was caused by Nvidia driver.He tested power usage when using 375.xx(newest one that time,but cause frequency drop) and 375.06(stable).
    375.xx
    [​IMG]

375.06:
    [​IMG]

see?Nvidia driver may cause Power usage become lower and lead to CPU low frequency too.So what I want to say is that the frequency problem may caused by many reason.Normally hardware is reliable and stable(except MSI's).Try to use Display Driver Uninstall or check "clear install"option may fix the problem too.Nvidia driver is unstable sometimes because every card's Asic Quality is different.Updating may cause performance problems to those Low-Asic Quality cards.If you are not interested in newest games,try not to update Nvidia driver.You can check reddit forum (https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/)to know if the latest driver performance well.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Pedro69 likes this.