** 1070 laptop: "bd prochot" causing cpu throttling to 800MHz and stuttering **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by streetunder, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Falkentyne

With power AC off, i can play at 3.4GHz also :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: and without any BD Prochot...this "thermal monitor" was a good find :biggrin: anyways i have a huge fps drop in battery, but frequency always on top.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    nunede likes this.
  2. nunede

nunede Newbie

Reputations:
    That's a nice find, great work horus.

I'd love to see how ac origins runs with thermal monitor turned off, anyways, you needed an unlocked bios to do that and msi says if you do so, you loose warranty, cross your fingers somebody from msi, don't read your post, because this thread is shared on zwame forum, as you know, and can be read by msi employees, delete your posts is my advice my friend.

Seems like this bd prochot issue, is not an "issue" or "defective" hardware, this laptop was designed to throttle when pushed to the limits, and thats it, it is the way it was designed or created for, msi will not fix this, and will not say what exacly causes this, it will damage their reputation if they do so.

I just hope they do whats right, and give you all the money you paid back or a new product, no questions asked.

3. Pedro69

Reputations:
    You can flash stock Bios again, so np about that.

Also if msi decide to not solve the problem, disable bd-prochot or thermal monitor fix my issue, so no big deal :cool:

4. Pedro69

Reputations:
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You can use both, but they serve two different purposes. If you set the VR voltage limit too low the system will become unstable. There are circumstances when voltage needs to be elevated and if the limit is set below that it will cause problems like a BSOD or random OS freezes. It is a limit, so maxing out the VR voltage limit will not increase the voltage delivery, it is only the raising the limit on maximum voltage available. For what I assume you are trying to accomplish, which would be lowering temperatures, you will want to lower the real-time CPU voltage delivery amount using a negative offset or a manual override with static voltage.

Papusan and Pedro69 like this.
  6. Pedro69

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Should i use Adaptive or Override? This kind of undervolt also works when the turbo is off(800MHz)?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I prefer using Override (static) voltage. Offset works OK. To use Override you will need to study your load voltage with a benchmark like Cinebench (see what it is under load with HWiNFO64 or ThrottleStop) to establish a starting point before you switch from Offset to Override. Bear in mind the amount entered does not have a decimal point, so 1.200V would be entered as 1200 (mV). Once you have the starting point, set the override voltage and run Cinebench to see if it is stable. Adjust the override voltage up or down as necessary.

Papusan, Vistar Shook and Pedro69 like this.
  8. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, but he has a 7700HQ.

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Mr Fox is using a Clevo, so I don't know if the same things apply, with the MSI cancer BS removed.
    Your MSI cancerbook has VID BOOST, which will boost the "apparent" voltage by a factor based on resistance in Ohms (reference value is about 2.1 mOhms or = 0.0021 Ohms).
    Instead of undervolting, remove the undervolt completely, set the offset back to 0, then change Core IA AC DC Loadline to 1 and 1 in CPU power and performance, CPU VR settings.

This will do the exact same thing except stop you from risking BSOD at idle. If you can load windows like this, usually you will be stable.

The CPU's default VID is programmed in each step, up to the maximum turbo limit. This is not an 'overvolt' by intel, but is actually calibrated for what the chip thinks is needed for stability. The "overvolt" is the IA AC DC setting, which raises the internal voltage (VID request) at full load, raising it MORE than it would be at idle. Unfortunately, on MSI jokebooks, the VID shown in Throttlestop, HWinfo64, CPU ID monitor becomes *MORE* and MORE inaccurate the higher the IA AC DC value is set to. I tried a value of 400 to mess around this morning (4 mOhms), with a cpu voltage of 1.0v (1000mv). CPU was reporting 1.08v during non AVX prime95 (AVX and FMA3 disabled), and AVX prime95 just shut the VRM's down due to overload protection. Because 4 mOhms is 0.004 Ohms, multiply by an ESTIMATED 80 amps, that 0.004 * 80= 322mv VID boost at 80 amps of load. That means even though the cpu voltage was set to 1.00v in Bios, VID boost was pouring 1.32v into the CPU at full load, and FMA3 prime95 said "nope. this is a MSI vomitbook. you lose, kiddo" (laptop shuts off).

If you don't understand this, sorry. Just set IA AC DC loadline to 1, remove the undervolt, then test your laptop.

Pedro69 likes this.
  10. Pedro69

Reputations:
    But not for much time.