** 1070 laptop: "bd prochot" causing cpu throttling to 800MHz and stuttering **

Discussion in 'MSI' started by streetunder, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A specific Bios can't. Because all of our laptops use the exact same Bios version, and same EC version.

Bios detects the hardware and sends it to the EC. They communicate with each other.
    Anything can signal NOS to be deactivated. Even a particular wifi card COULD cause an EC register change (whether it does or not is anyone's guess. I've only been able to verify VIDEO CARD Detection which causes EC RAM register E3 to be set to a certain "Power draw limit").

@heliada if i may ask, which WIFI card did your laptop have?
    I know you don't have it anymore, but do you remember?

EC detects hardware by the PCI ID.
    for example, the hard coded AC power limits (exceeding power draw rating will cause CPU throttling) is done by video card detection on POST (Power on). Done by the card's PCI ID.

For example, your 1070 card causes your EC to show a "20" hex value in EC RAM register E3 (remember your screenshot?). That is the code telling the EC to set a 230W AC power limit for your system.
    A 21 code "exists", but is unimplemented because there is no GTX 1080 SKU for your system. I am still not 100% sure of this (i can't debug code), but I believe the NOS cutoff is hard coded at POST and stored in CODE, not an EC register, and is based on the starting power ID. However the EC power ID register is exposed in EC RAM and CAN Be changed. Unfortunately this only changes the NOS cutoff when NOS is enabled (the point where battery boost starts being used). But when NOS is disabled, the cutoff is either 1) hard coded at 160W regardless of 230W or 330W starting power ID, or 2) uses the "NOS start point" based on the power ID originally set at POST. But again, I dont program. I don't have linux and I don't know how to disassemble stuff. This is beyond my skill.

*IF* NOS were actually working on your system (you had a 9E at EC RAM Register C5, and a C0 at EC Ram register C6), then you would be able to put a "21" in EC RAM register E3 yourself, and then you could draw up to 330W of total system power (hope you have the 330W power supply for that), and you would get NO battery drain below 220W system usage. But the NOS registers are not even there, so the EC code caps the power limit at 160W, which is where NOS would start being used normally. That is the code used for when you "disable" NOS manually on systems with NOS actually working.

(e.g. if you program a value from 00 to 80 in EC RAM register C5, this disables NOS and caps the power draw).

I really hope you understand what I'm saying clearly here.

Back to EC RAM register E3:

On the GT73VR, 90 = 230W power ID for GTX 1070 (10 for 6820Hk systems) and 91=330W power ID for GTX 1080 (11 for 6820hk systems).

Changing this value live in windows from 90 to 91 changes the power ID, immediately (pretty amazing this is actually exposed to EC RAM and allowed), and also changes the NOS cutoff from 160W to somewhere between 220W to 240W. However the NOS *DISABLED* cutoff remains at 160W, and I don't know if a 1080 is installed, if it would be 220W for the cutoff or not. Or if its hard locked at 160W regardless of video card. Someone would have to look at the code. But who here knows how to do this besides Prema? And he won't do it for us. He's too busy.

What I can tell you is, if a HIGHER power ID is 'set' (like if you set the 230W one to a 330W one to prevent "NOS" battery drain below 230W usage, and to allow the system to use up to 330W without throttling the CPU), then if you try setting a lower power ID, the higher power ID remains in effect, even if you reboot the system. In fact it remains persistent though SEVERAL power on and off cycles before it fully resets back to the original power ID. So this seems locked in code to the higher power ID. This is assuming you have a CPU that is allowed to bypass TDP (HK etc).

However if you use an "invalid" power ID in EC RAM register E3, the CPU gets locked to TDP rating instead of being allowed to use the BIOS TDP override setting (this does not apply to HQ CPU's obviously which are locked hard).

WHY is NOS disabled on your system? I do not know. I asked USA users with GT72VR's to post their EC RAM screenshots in the GT62VR thread. Yet not a single reply. Literally. People just don't care. Maybe they're too lazy to help. Or too selfish. Or maybe none of them are reading this forum anymore. I don't know.

Pedro69 likes this.
  2. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, if laptop of @streetunder not can be fixed, i need check with my eyes how is the noise and cooling on clevo p775...with bd prochot disable in bios, my laptop runs fine...and i love the silence and cooling in msi even in gaming.

Anyways thanks for trying help us with issue.

3. Pedro69

Reputations:
    @heliada @Falkentyne

Another update, i disable the function Thermal Monitor in Bios and the issue is also fixed like disable BDProchot.

[​IMG]

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What options does the AC power brick has besides 90watts?

5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Depreciated option. Not even available on any current laptops. Seems to be unavailable in APTIO even if set to supervisor. This setting is even in the clevo and alienware aptio too but won't appear.

BTW how are you? :) Any luck with debugging that 17a1ems1.109?

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It was also in the Insyde H2O BIOS for older Alienware systems like the M18xR1 and M18xR2. It is irrelevant, but changing the setting from default caused undesirable behavior. I don't remember what it did now because it was such a long time ago that I tinkered with it. I can only remember that it wasn't good and I had to set it back to the BIOS default.

Pedro69, Vistar Shook and Falkentyne like this.
  7. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Going to guess, extreme throttling? Or the laptop just turned off by itself when you gave it a Papusan look? :)

Papusan likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    The older Alienware's didn't turned off by itself like the newer AW models. I'm quite sure bro Fox prefer to use the correct way... Click Shut Down:D
    [​IMG]

Pedro69 likes this.
  9. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Anyone know how works this feature of "Thermal Monitor"? This have a relation with Tjmax? Motherboard have a bad sensor?

10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Disabling or enabling "Thermal monitor" makes absolutely ZERO difference on a GT73VR. Zero. Nada. Zilch.
    Same as disabling "PECI", which is supposed to prevent the CPU from communicating with the EC. But doesn't. There's no difference at all.
    Wonder if it does anything on a Clevo.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  11. Pedro69

Reputations:
    Strange, i never got a single BD Prochot since i disable that....