1070 GTX Micron Memory Global Issues - GPU firmware update needed

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Vassilis008, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vassilis008

Vassilis008 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

It seems that our A15R3 and A17R4 with 1070GTX and Micron memory are also hit with the well known vram bug (see here: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ma...for-geforce-gtx-1070-due-to-memory-issue.html).

Reports that I am reading from various forums clearly show that micron chips will not go above +200-300MHz on A15R3 and A17R4 and sometimes even show artifacts or crash at stock clocks, while Samsung chips are usually in the +700 range. Now the good news is that this was solved with a GPU firmware on the desktop cards, because the problem is not the quality of the memory but the way the GPU bios is managing the Micron vram and the voltage.

Is there any chance that we can get a GPU firmware to fix this please Alienware, as it is quite a serious issue?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Tyurru02, Robbo99999 and hmscott like this.
  2. Xenrail

Xenrail Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update. Going to check my amp's GTX 1070 when i get home

3. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea, hopefully Alienware will issue a firmware update to correct the issue.

4. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So, HWinfo reports that I have Samsung RAM on my 1070. Does that mean I'm good?

5. Vassilis008

Reputations:
    Yep, you're safe!

6. Vassilis008

Reputations:
    True, but I am not really sure they are aware that the problem also affects laptop cards...

7. lokoroxbr

lokoroxbr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how do i see what tyoe of memory do i haave on my gtx 1070? where and which program?

@edit: i opened HWInfo64, and in GPU modules, when i selected nvidia (because it was intel hd graphics), on MEMORY MODULES it says mine is: Micron Tech 8ATF1G64HZ-2G6B1

So i guess mine is one with problems right? Is there a hotfix for it? Or do i have to trade/change notebook? Sorry, im newbie at those subjects....

Also, i dindt installed the last BIOS version in dell drivers site (BIOS 1.0.9 from january 09, 2017). Should i install it?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. Vassilis008

Reputations:
    Yea the Micron one is problematic (usually if you overclock but it can also happen at stock speeds if your card is really bad). You can install bios 1.0.9 but it will not fix the problem because it's gpu related. You need a new bios/firmware for the GPU to fix the memory problems, so we need to wait for AW/Dell to create one. All the major brands have provided a fix (Asus, EVGA, Gainward, MSI, Gigabyte, Palit, etc.) except Dell!

I don't know why they are not reacting, maybe they are waiting until more people complaint and want to return/trade their laptop?

9. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But did Asus and MSI fixes for example even cover their laptops or just desktop cards?

10. lokoroxbr

lokoroxbr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    so, for now, i have to wait right?

Question: is this related to stuttering im experiencing? throttling? Or this is because heating problem and repaste fix it? Should i repaste my aw15r3?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.