1070 gtx in an m17x r4

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Schurke, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Are you certain your heatsink is fitted properly ?

The reason I ask is because the heatsink modificatiosn shown in the picture, are not all that is needed for proper contact.

There are two coils near where the SLI connectors usually are that need clearance, and I thought stock heatsinks basically get stuck on those. (which can damage the card BTW.. so be careful)

2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    here, take a look at what I cut and mod out

[​IMG]

the edge where the pipes hang out, you will notice I cut them abit, and leave extra room for components. (this way it can be used for the pascal cards, either ones, either type)

cdoublejj likes this.
  3. A-Gits

A-Gits Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Etienne,

congrats on your card :). You are almost done, let me try to help with the rest:

Taking a second look at your stock HS, i think you need to modifiy the edges:
    Dremel them down with your cnc machine, just like you did with the middle part.

[​IMG]

After that make sure that the components of the card make contact with your heatsink. I had to use a little bit extra pads on some spots.

Replace your nv_dispi.inf with the one i added as attachment.

This is a known issue, also happening with 980M's on the M17xR4. Happend to me and to other users as well, i.e. @Schurke.
    The only suitable workaround for it is to suspend the system or shut it down and turn it on again (not restart). Then the card should run just fine and without power draw issues during the whole duration of your session. It doesnt happen always, just sometimes.
    You can read more about it here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m17x-r4-980m-throttling-research-and-workaround.786903/

Other than that keep in mind that the stock hs, even in its modified version, will not be enough to keep the system cool when playing the most demanding titles out there.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

etienne51 likes this.
  4. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, I'm back. I reinstalled the driver using the "nvcvi.inf" file. It works the same. But it seems to be the best way to do this indeed. Thanks!

Why did I use "nv_dispi.inf"? Because I was looking for a tutorial on how to do the mod, and at first I tried modding the Dell file, and then MSI, and since it didn't work, I went for the global file, "nv_dispi.inf". And it worked. I should indeed have tried Clevo. Just trial and error here.

Anyway, this did not fix the issue.

5. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    HA!

[​IMG]

Thank you @A-Gits you're right! A cold boot did not help, but I added the hibernate option to the start menu, and tried that, I get a constant framerate now. And finally a good Fire Strike score! :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    A-Gits likes this.
  6. A-Gits

Reputations:
    Nice!:)

You are getting 17k+ on graphics, that is really good. For a higher total score you will need a bit more on physics. You can achieve that by overclocking your cpu.
    Try this, your 3840QM should handle following settings just fine:

[​IMG]

Also, you should be able to get 18k+ on graphics by overclocking your gpu with nvidia inspector. These are the values i am using:

[​IMG]

Keep an eye on your temps. Once you get the modified 5pipe gpu and 3pipe cpu hs, you can run all these settings without having to worry too much.

Cheers!

cdoublejj likes this.
  7. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nice! I'm not sure I understand exactly how the overclocking works on these CPUs. The last time I did overclock a CPU, it was my i7 920 on my old desktop computer, reaching 4.12GHz on my Asus Rampage III Extreme, and still working 24/7. Haha, I'm really happy about that old computer.

But anyway, it looks completely different here, and that was a long time ago.

[​IMG]

It clearly improved the physics score about +600. Sadly... I did not reach 10k. :D

8. A-Gits

Reputations:
    Oc your GPU for the benchmark and you will reach 13k+ as total score. If the benchmark crashes turn down the sliders a bit and try again.

Start with +150 Mhz on the core and +150 memory.

You cant do much harm since the voltage is locked in pascal cards, so if you increase the clocks and add no voltage you would tecnically undervolt the card. Try it out!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

9. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hahaha, well, it seems like I broke the 13k barrier.

[​IMG]

I have +220MHz on both the GPU and memory.

But it seems like I reached the PSU limit. When the GPU score goes higher, the CPU score decreases. And I measure around 210W tops at the wall socket, it never goes any higher than that.

I also definately need better cooling now.

woodzstack, mariussx and A-Gits like this.
  10. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Slightly off topic maybe. I was testing some games, and comparing my laptop to a friends old and new laptops, and my desktop computer. So there are the 3 configurations compared:

1. Alienware M17x R4 (i7 3840QM / MSI GTX 1070 / 16GB RAM / 17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz)
    3DMark Fire Strike: 13135
    Graphics: 18810
    Physics: 9842
    Combined: 4758
    Call of Duty Black Ops III: 90-120fps

2. Asus G502 (i7 7700HQ / GTX 1060 / 16GB RAM / 15.6" 1920x1080 60Hz G-Sync)
    3DMark Fire Strike: 9403
    Graphics: 10997
    Physics: 10367
    Combined: 4224
    Call of Duty Black Ops III: 130-160fps

3. Asus GL703VM (i7 7700HQ / GTX 1060 / 16GB RAM / 17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz)
    3DMark Fire Strike: 9429
    Graphics: 11010
    Physics: 10577
    Combined: 4211
    Call of Duty Black Ops III: 90-120fps

4. Asus Maximus VIII Impact (i7 6700K / EVGA GTX 1080 FTW / 32GB RAM / Asus PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 165Hz G-Sync)
    3DMark Fire Strike: 16872
    Graphics: 22582
    Physics: 11892
    Combined: 7440
    Call of Duty Black Ops III: 170-220fps

I tested a very few other games, Overwatch for example, stuff I had with me, I don't have a fast internet access where I was, so I couldn't do a better comparison.

What I can say is, all games except Black Ops III run at higher framerate with better hardware. That's indeed the normal behavior... The thing is, in this list, there are two computers (PC 2 / 3) with the exact same CPU, GPU and screen resolution, getting the same Fire Strike score, but with a huge framerate difference in Black Ops III.

We can see a 1060 (PC 2) crushing my 1070 (PC 1) at that game, which is quite annoying. o_O And in fact, another 1060 (PC 3) running at the same framerate as my 1070. :eek:

Of course, all computers are running the latest Nvidia drivers, all games are using the exact same settings, it's also the exact same game folder I copied everywhere, and the test was done on the same map, with only myself running across the map, no other players. And in fact, all 3 laptops are running a fresh install of Windows 10, latest updates, my desktop though is not running a fresh install.

I guess the problem is the game itself here, but still, I find it quite odd to have such a huge fps difference between two computers with the same hardware. As I said, that's an observation I made, maybe off topic a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.