1070 gtx in an m17x r4

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Schurke, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh, you bought them already! It will be interesting to have a comparison.

I mainly sent them an email to ask them for shipping options, since I'm from Reunion Island and I need to know which shipping service they use.
    I also asked them about the performance, but as you said, I'm not going to make my opinion based on what they say. I'm definately going to buy and try. Since it's full copper, it just can't be worse than the stock heatsink that's for sure.

I know woodz sells stock heatsinks (and modified ones to fit 1060/1070). He has full copper heatsinks on his M17x R4 CPU/GPU, but these are custom made, not for sale. I'm not sure how it compares to the ones from eBay.

2. A-Gits

A-Gits Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Woodz sold me a full copper 3Pipe Hs for my 3920XM. That HS is doing a good job i must say.

Here are some pictures of the 3pipe Hs on my 3920xm and Stock Hs on my 1070:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    cdoublejj likes this.
  3. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, it looks to me like the same model.

4. ares6

ares6 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, I have a 3840qm CPU and would like to overclock some tutoring? Thank you

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

5. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I never tried overclocking on the Alienware. I will soon I guess.

Last time I overclocked a CPU it was my watercooled i7 920 something like 5 years ago, reaching 4.12GHz and still running fine.
    But for the laptop I'll wait until I get better cooling before trying anything, my CPU reaches 81°C right now under full load.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  6. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, good news, my graphics card has been shipped, I should get it next week.

Waiting for the copper heatsinks, I took one of the aluminum ones I have around, and machined it for the 1070. That way I'll be able to compare the stock one and the full copper one when I get it.
    I have a small CNC machine, so that one was done quick and clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    jaybee83, sicily428 and Schurke like this.
  7. A-Gits

Reputations:
    Wow dude! You could mod and sell them yourself! Very nice machine you got there :).

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

etienne51 likes this.
  8. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is the vbios I've got right now.

EDIT: Whoops, my bad. I made a mistake, I did not mean to post this here. If someone can remove that post... Sorry.

Attached Files:

9. A-Gits

Reputations:
    So, i got my 5 pipe heatsink from Woodz today and i have to say: Hands down to that piece of hardware! :) It really lowered the temps on my MSI 1070 for about 4-5 degrees Celsius. Not bad! :)

[​IMG]

Now, to see if the heatsink does its job, you need to throw something heavy at the 1070. One of the best games to make your M17xR4 - GTX1070 go hot and crash is Rise of the Tomb Raider @ max settings.
    Using my old stock heatsink and playing with the notebook on a flat surface would go make my temps go as high as 82-83 degrees Celsius after 15 minutes and crash.
    After installing the 5 pipe heatsink and testing ROTTR for over 1 hour on a flat surface i got a max reading of 78 degrees Celsius and stable. Its still a high temperature but most games dont stress the GPU as much as Rise of the Tomb Raider does. In fact, most games run at max 67 degrees Celsius now.

The best part though, is seeing the temps go even lower when using a laptop cooler (i am using a Cooler Master CM Storm SF-17):
    Temps on ROTTR cranked up on max settings dont pass the 67 degrees Celsius barrier, which is really astonishing!

The modified Heatsink from Woodz is a mix of copper and aluminum. Within the next days i will get a full copper 5 pipe heatsink from a chinese ebay seller and test how well it performs against the copper/alu HS from Woodz.

For now this beast get me this solid firestrike score:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    cdoublejj, etienne51 and Schurke like this.
  10. Schurke

Schurke Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great news!

+points for the custom sticker

I'm still waiting on my 5-pipe and card. I'll post temps and scores when I get one or both.

As an aside, are any mods watching this one? The thread's wandered pretty far from the original topic and could use a re-title like "Notes on the 1070GTX in an M17X R4" as it's becoming more about life with/after mods and less about the Eurocom card specifically.

cdoublejj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.