1070 gtx in an m17x r4

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Schurke, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Schurke

Schurke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, all. I recently got my hands on a low-power Eurocom 1070 from @woodzstack. Installation wasn't super-difficult (because it uses the old mxm form factor). The only significant problem is that it won't run the on-board display... only an external monitor. So I'm asking for both him and myself: Any ideas?

Pertinent Details:

120hz display.
    Running in PEG/Dedicated mode, full UEFI.
    GPU runs normally (can install drivers and run benchmarks) on the external monitor.
    8 beeps if the external monitor is not plugged in.
    External monitor can be on the mini-displayport or the hdmi out.
    VGA out doesn't work (might be a clue).
    UEFI boot logo (alien head) is mysteriously replaced with a squashed dell logo (might also be a clue).

I'm going to try some more stuff this afternoon before I roll back to the 980m for monday.

I have a 60hz panel I can try.

Optimus mode is probably off the table because I use this machine for VR game development (and that's historically been a non-starter).

Edit 1:
    Vive won't run in direct mode in this configuration. It fails to make a connection to the compositor... I'll try the 60hz panel next to see but this may be a bad sign re: the vbios overall.

Edit 2:
    No dice on the 60hz display: same results.

Edit 3:
    Rolled back to the 980m.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    The 1070 is supposed to work with the 60Hz display, as it works in the AW17 with 60Hz.
    What we didn't know, or have confirmation of, was if it would work in the M17X-R4 with 120Hz panel.

Seems it didn't start in either case.

When you have it in the 60Hz panel config, make sure your settings for boot are legacy supported, so that the HD Intel chip loads the panel, thats the key, the HD intel graphics loads the LVDS.

3. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    EUROCOM though has confirmed it works in both situations, which we never took for 100% because they gave short quick "yes" answers only.
    So - before anyone thinks I send customers cards that do not work - me and Schurke here knew what we getting into before just shipping blindly.

now the question is, how did EUROCOM get it to work, if they did, or were they simply lying or made a mistake ?
    (in which case, of course a refund is possible, understandably.)

We want to figure out how to make this card work, anyone have suggestions ?
    Is it just a matter of vbios ?
    we have some tools available, but only option in this specific vbios that was altered was power total.

Does anyone have a copy of the Zotac vbios, I would like to try it on such a card and see if it makes a difference, then maybe ship it to Schurke here to see it that changes things.
    (or do we risk using the MSI vbios, how different can they be ?)

4. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For either the 1060 or 1070 (Eurocom or MSI) to work with our M17x R4, we need to have the 120Hz panel. It has absolutely nothing to do with the refresh rate of 120Hz, because of course any LCD would work fine no matter the refresh rate... But the problem with the 60Hz panel is the connector it uses, it's LVDS, and the 120Hz one is eDP. Pascal cards only work with eDP panels, so it is not compatible with the 60Hz panel for that reason.

There are a couple threads on the web about the 1070 and how a few people managed to install it in the M17x R4. I'm myself thinking about buying one, probably today or tomorrow. I'm not yet sure whether I'll buy the 150W MSI or the 115W Eurocom model... The 150W is a pain to install, I'm not sure it won't throttle like crazy with the stock heatsink, and I'm not sure about the performance gain in game either (I heard +9.6%...). I could technically have one for the same price exactly as the Eurocom model.

About the vBios, I also need to know more. I seem to understand that MSI vBios works with Alienware, but do NOT try anything based on what I just said. We need confirmation.

5. ares6

ares6 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hello good I am interested in the subject I have a m17xr4 with 980m and 120hz panel then is the 1070 compatible with our laptop? just having to change the heatsink thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

6. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, yes. In fact there are two different models of the 1070, the 115W from Eurocom and the 150W which has a larger footprint. Both cards work in the M17x R4 120Hz, but with some modifications to the chassis and the motherboard connector for the 150W model. The 115W model the OP is refering to does not require any mods to the chassis/motherboard, so it's easier to install for the hardware side of things.

Now all 1060 and 1070 cards require the heatsink mod, and the 150W 1070 might require a better cooling solution alltogether, since our M17x R4 is designed to handle 100W GPUs max by default. It's probably going to struggle with the higher power 1070.

Regarding the requirements for these cards, all that is needed is to have the eDP 120Hz panel, which you have, and the A12 unlocked bios which you can flash. Then you might need to reinstall your Windows 10 in UEFI mode with GPT partition, it won't work any other way. Then it's all about BIOS settings and modded drivers.

I also had a black M17x R4 before which I upgraded to the 980M, but this one had the 60Hz panel, I now moved to a red 120Hz one with a better CPU 3840QM and a 680M which I'm about to upgrade to the 1070 (115 or 150, not sure yet).

7. Schurke

Schurke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The Eurocom variant seems to be a bit different. It's not working correctly with a 120hz screen in PEG mode with a full UEFI config (using the unlocked A11 bios). People have reported getting it working with the 60hz pannel in optimus mode, but that isn't a solution I'm able to use. We don't have any confirmations on getting it working in PEG mode on the 120hz screen. I'm going to follow up with Eurocom to see what they say.

8. Schurke

Schurke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, @ares6 -- We haven't figured out how to get the Eurocom version of the card working properly with the M17XR4 using the 120hz panel. It installed, but the main display didn't work (only the external monitor). The card is small enough that you only need to mod the heatsink.

9. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay guys, indeed, I've been talking to woodzstack, and that's what he told me too. Sorry for the misinformation, I just found out about that issue.

I just went ahead and did the mod on my motherboard and chassis to fit the MSI 150W 1070, but I'll also have the overheating issue to take care of a bit later.

10. ares6

ares6 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    then from what I understand does not work on a m17x r4 120hz correctly

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk