1060 upgrade help

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Anakin_loRd, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You have to take into consideration the different processors used, I found that different processors will have a huge impact on the final results, though its true that the 1060N is 80W and I am looking into how to flash it to 100W TDP, and if I am successful I will post another 3DMark result.

2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    just use @Coolane's pascal TDP app and you should be good. you'll also need to flash it directly to the vBIOS chip on the GPU so it's better to test the GPU before you mod it.

3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    I ignored the total score and only looked at graphics score. Which has nothing to do with CPU.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You will more easily maintain a 1060 overclock. The 980M had a LOT of work put into it so the top scores are basically like liquid nitrogen benchmarking to most users, not really applicable.

5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    So you're just going to ignore the slight overclock results as well? As i posted, even "normal" overclocked GTX 980M is stronger than "normal"overclocked GTX 1060

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You mean the one where you just repeated the 980m link?

Not much to comment on that one as it stands ;)

7. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 980M is more expensive than the 1060 at least what I paid for mine anyway.

And its not way ahead the 1060 so all the downside specially the monstrous heat that card makes and not to mention way more power it consumes just wont justify it over the 1060
    But if you already have 980M then upgrade makes no sense.

8. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You might be expecting a bit too much from the 980M. You have to keep in mind the stock boost is 1127mhz.

The standard vBIOS is also limited to something like +135mhz offset so anything over 1300mhz was already "beyond normal" and required a modded vBIOS.

The main problem in almost every case is power delivery. Most cards didn't have enough power to handle higher core clocks without black screening.

From personal experience, the most I could ever pull from my 970M (still GM204) was 1338mhz on the core but that was quite unstable and pushing any more volts would black it out due to VRM overload. The reality was what I could only reliably run it at around 1250-1270mhz

9. Saltsi

Saltsi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had a 980m mxm card that maxed out around ~1206mhz for the core. More than that and result was always a black screen....

10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Actually the GTX 980M is way cheapter than the GTX 1060m.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-nVidia...106622?hash=item33d1cb7f3e:g:xWwAAOSwi7RZMO6G
    $468.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alienware-M...242025?hash=item1ecb532269:g:tKwAAOSwmFNZaPvu
    $608.40

But you're right, the performance is basicially the same. Even tho the GTX 980M seems to scale better in overclock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.