1050 TI vs 1060 for School

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by xsais, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? $2000 USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer? I was thinking 17" because it should have better airflow but if a 15" and below laptop can stay cool, why not.

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. HIDEvolution (not set in stone)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Clevo, MSI, Dell, HP
    b. Dislike: Acer, Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? If they have a warranty =< 2 years

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? C/C#/Java (Game) Development and Debugging VM work, Photo editing, Light 3D modeling

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mainly to and from school every day (5 days a week).

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? Fortnite, Minecraft, and BO1/2/3/4

Preferred game quality and FPS: Minimal settings, 30-60 fps is fine with me (mainly for school work)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? I keep the notebook plugged in 24/7 but =< 2 hours would be nice.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? I would prefer to physically see the laptop but I would be fine with online reviews (more than 1).

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows, Linux

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.) Minimum 1600x900

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? Matte screen
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? I would prefer as little style as possible.

15) When are you buying this laptop? in 3+ Weeks

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? As long as possible. 4 years+ or at least longer than the warranty

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? An SSD to put the OS and most frequently used programs. I already have a 1TB 5400 RPM HDD so unless its an upgrade I don't need a new one

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? No

As of now, I am looking at the Clevo N870EK1 (i7-8750H, GTX 1050 TI w/ 4GB GDDR5 and1920x1080 @ 60Hz) -or- Clevo N870EP6 (i7-8750H,GTX 1060 w/ 6GB GDDR5 and 1920x1080 @ 144Hz)

Current System: Acer E5 772G (i5-5200U, Geforce 940M 2GB GDDR3, 8 GIG and 1600x900 @ 60Hz)

This would be a Desktop replacement, but It would be plugged into an external monitor when not at school.

Update: I decided to build a desktop instead of buying a laptop

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  2. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Assuming budget of $2k and the games you want to play the 1060 would be better for the Newer COD and Fortnite, but honestly either one makes light work. However, for 5+ years, I would go with a Desktop Replacement with MXM GPU/LGA CPU. I beleive eluktronics is having a sale on a barebones unit with a GTX 1080 for 1500, add in RAM+SSD+CPU and that brings you up to 2k

KY_BULLET likes this.
  3. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Lol wow this is is good deal! http://www.eluktronics.com/P870DM3-BYO

KY_BULLET likes this.
  4. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    KY_BULLET likes this.
  5. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or a BIOS at all. Downside to Eluktronics.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
  7. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I live near a Microcenter so for under $2k that’s one heck of a laptop. Not my thing, but a solid desktop replacement.

Fox would love it lol.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  8. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I just meant it'll still end up a bit over 2k after like 250 on a cpu, 200 ram, 200 storage etc... Still low priced.

Temps are an issue on that beast at stock though.

9. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Carrying around a laptop that weighs 12.1 lbs laptop to a from classes. Well at least ill get a daily workout

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Kent T likes this.
  10. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is a desktop replacement. Should be pretty obvious since it's the size of a Ford Festiva.

Working out is good for you :)

KY_BULLET likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.