1050 2GB vs 1050 4GB vs 1050Ti 4GB

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by One of the good guys, Jan 27, 2017.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    I concur

2. One of the good guys

One of the good guys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But I'm looking to spend less than $1000, and hoping for 17". That really limits my options right now. I probably won't buy until April or so (my understanding is that prices drop in April).

3. Luraundo

Luraundo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I kinda wish laptop pricing just for specific parts wasn't that ridiculous. Desktop variations of the 1050 and 1050ti have a $20-30 difference. This is what makes gaming laptops have such a bad rep in the PC Gaming community, so sad. I'm not hating on gaming laptops, but that's a bit too much to ask for on a laptop. I seriously don't want to see gaming laptops get worse with this, I hope it does grow despite me getting into building a desktop soon.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  4. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HTWingNut likes this.
  5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    I like it when sites bench the different vRAM version of cards. These days though 2GB is simply too small. 1050 is by no means a major performer, but it's still decent and 2GB will only cripple its performance even more. With the low cost of vRAM these day, slower and less capacity especially, I don't understand why any manufacturer would go with 2GB over 4GB. I'd even venture to say 6GB is minimum these days.

6. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, the 2gb is really borderline. 4gb should be standard by now.

Btw. here is also a video of a laptop 1050 4gb vs 4gb Ti. It's almost always 10 fps slower than the Ti (or the exact 20% due to 640 cores vs 768 cores).

Unfortunately we have no test showing all 3 cards (2gb, 4gb, 4gb Ti) side by side. One can only guess based on the polish website that the 2gb is an additional 3-8 frames less than the 4gb non-Ti.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017