1050 2GB vs 1050 4GB vs 1050Ti 4GB

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by One of the good guys, Jan 27, 2017.

1. One of the good guys

One of the good guys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok. Just out of curiosity, what about Civ 6? I don't anticipate playing it, but would the i5 bottleneck Civ 6? That's not going to necessarily be the determining factor, but just something to consider. I generally lag behind a few years on games unless one really catches my interest (which Civ 6 hasn't done yet).

2. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Yes, but it seems like there not much of a difference, at least not right now.

I'd stick to the i5.

3. One of the good guys

Reputations:
    Ok, so now HP has a 25% off coupon (too bad it's not 30%, that would be nice). Unfortunately, it seems like i5 / 1050 Ti combo would be best, but no laptops offer that combo. In addition, my wife would like a DVD drive, but I figure we can still do a 15.6" and buy an external DVD for less than the $50 bucks (or $37.50 since the 25% off should apply to that as well) that HP wants for it, or even upgrade to Blu Ray for about $70. Everything else is pretty much the same as far as the other specs go: 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD (7200 rpm) + 128 GB M.2 SSD (except the Pavilion 15t has a 256gb NVMe SSD instead), so I will only highlight the differences. I haven't actually tested to make sure the coupon works for each of these (my calculation is just 75% of the listed price), but I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Either way, here are my 4 options for HP right now:

1) Pavilion 15t
    • i5
    • 1050 4GB
    • 256 GB NVMe SSD instead of 1 TB HDD/128GB SSD combo
    • $960 ($720 after coupon) + cost of optical drive
    2) Pavilion 17t
    • i5
    • 1050 4GB
    • $1030 ($772.50 after coupon)
    3) Omen 15t
    • i7
    • 1050 Ti
    • $1150 ($862.50 after coupon) + cost of optical drive
    4) Omen 17t
    • i7
    • 1050 Ti
    • $1270 ($952.50 after coupon)
    Technically all these are within budget (although the Omen 17t is cutting it close), and obviously the farther down the list I go the better the computer is, but I still want to find that balance between getting what I need without spending extra on things I don't need. I feel I don't need the i7, but I don't know how much I would lose going to the 1050 rather than the Ti (it's really too bad the Omen doesn't offer an i5). So, between these options, what are other things I should be aware of? I'm guessing the Omen has much better build quality, but is the difference between the Omen and Pavilion stark enough that it should be a major consideration? Based on the games I play, would I regret getting the Pavilion (or to word it better, would the Pavilion have issues trying to play similar games 3-4 years from now)? On the other hand, would the Omen be overkill? Thanks.

4. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
  5. One of the good guys

Reputations:
    I pretty much summed it up here:

I believe any "new" game I play is listed. I currently play Starcraft 2.

I do like to max games, though.

However, by the sounds of it any of these laptops would do fine. Is build quality an issue, or not really? My previous Pavilion lasted nearly 5 years, but my understanding is that HP's build quality isn't like it was in 2011 when I bought it.

jaug1337 likes this.
  6. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Can you provide me with the links to the laptops? The ones I find have alternative specs.

There are different i5 and i7 cards, just want to compare which are which. I saw a Intel Core i5-5200U on the Pavillion, not what you really want for gaming since it is a "Ultra-low power" CPU.

7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    If you can afford the 1050 ti equipped machine, you buy that one, because the card you buy is what you're stuck with forever.

What you need right now is irrelevant, because needs can change as time goes by, and longevity is worth gold.

8. One of the good guys

Reputations:
    Pavilion 15t
    Pavilion 17t
    Omen 15t
    Omen 17t

The only upgrades I did were GPU and storage (I don't think the links store upgrade selections).

Good point. It's really too bad that they don't have an option with i5 and 1050 Ti (either by putting Ti's in the Pavilion or i5's in the Omen). I actually might hold off until the next similar coupon comes around (HP does these so often, but hopefully I will get lucky enough to grab a 30% off), probably around April or so, in which case there might be that combination available. Plus, I'd have more of a savings buffer, helping me feel better about pulling the trigger for $950 rather than $780 (just called wife, she says she wants the bigger screen too and doesn't like the inconvenience of an external optical drive, although I don't think there's a problem with it).

9. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Buy the Pavilion 17t for $699 - great price and you save too much to buy anything else.

Also if you'd like to install a SSD later yourself do that, otherwise pay the $80 for 128GB M.2 SSD - the speed contrary to a HDD is light and day.

If you'd like a bigger discount, possible call Dell and say you simply are looking for something a bit more affordable, at rare times, they give out larger coupons to be nice :) I got a 30% coupon for my M1530 when I called them!

10. One of the good guys

Reputations:
    Nice idea, and I'm not opposed to Dell necessarily (in fact I liked the idea of their popular Inspiron laptop that had the 1050 Ti), but the main issues with them is they have no 17" laptop with a 1050 or better that gets anywhere near the specs HP offers (the only ones I'm aware of are the Alienware line, and that would be a huuuuge discount to get a 17" AW below $1k), and their 15" Inspiron I was looking at has a terrible display, by the sounds of it.

I've heard that HP also works with you when you call looking for a deal, maybe I should try that. However, they might not with how often they have these 15% - 30% off coupons so often.

jaug1337 likes this.