1050 2GB vs 1050 4GB vs 1050Ti 4GB

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by One of the good guys, Jan 27, 2017.

1. One of the good guys

One of the good guys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm looking to buy a new laptop sometime in the near future when a good deal comes out, but with my budget being in the $700-$1000 range I don't think I can get anything better than the 1050Ti (especially considering I'd like a 17" laptop, an i7, and a HDD+SSD).

That being said, they throw out different options and allow you to upgrade. So my first question is this: is there any practical difference in performance between the 1050 2GB and 4GB versions? Or is it a waste of upgrade money? I guess that question might depend on the price; what I'm looking at has it at $80 more. My hypothesis: the 4GB would not really be utilized, meaning the money would be better spent on other upgrades.

However, the 1050Ti seems to be a notable upgrade. How about that for $100 more than the 1050 4GB ($180 more than the base 1050 2GB)? I hypothesize that if $80 for the 4GB upgrade isn't worth it then it's silly to think $180 would be worth it, even for a better card, not to mention $180 seems an awful lot for that upgrade.

Finally, if it's a matter of not being worth the price, at what price would you consider it a good investment to upgrade?

Thanks. I try to look around for info on this, but the value difference between these 3 (especially between the 1050 cards) is very elusive. I appreciate your input, experts!

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    I don't think the 4GB would really be utilized, but I think it's safer to go that route because some games block you from using higher details because your video card doesn't have more vRAM. Also, I think the 1050 Ti is worth $100 over the 4GB 1050, but that's just me. It does seem a little steep but more cores the better. I wouldn't expect to game higher than 1080p though.

sasuke256 likes this.
  3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    What are the notebooks that you're looking at? I've got a few recommendations for that price bracket if you're interested.

4. One of the good guys

One of the good guys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, I've been ho-humming about getting 4k, but figured it would not be worth it unless I could get at least a 1050 Ti, which would be hard to get all for under $1000.

I've been looking at the HP laptops right now, since from my search in price comparisons I find them to generally be good value as long as you get a good sale (I'm hoping for 20-30% off, which comes up every now and then for HP). I know HP is generally discouraged due to cheaper build quality, but I don't know if it's really that big of an issue for me. The Pavilion doesn't offer the 1050 Ti upgrade, but if I were buying right this minute that's probably what I'd get due to it having a decent sale (the Omen would be preferred but too much more $$ than the Pavilion right now, can't compete with the Pavilion 7t's sale).

What are your recommendations?

5. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    2GB GPUs are obsolete, even at 1080p

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    I wouldn't bother even considering gaming at 4K unless you have at least a 1080!

7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    For a sub-$1000 17" notebook with a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, try the Clevo N870HK1. Sounds like it's practically the best bang-for-buck you can possibly get. As for gaming at 4K... Unless you want to play at slideshow frame-rates, as @HTWingNut has said, I wouldn't consider anything worse than a GTX 1080 now.

HTWingNut likes this.
  8. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Yup, agreed.. The 1050ti will do 1080p fine but for 4K, good luck.. GTX 1080 is needed and personally, 4K at 15 inch is not good for your eyes!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

HTWingNut likes this.
  9. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you are looking at the HP Pavilion super sale (ongoing), then yes, it's an epic great deal.
    I'd suggest the following config:

i5 7300HQ
    8GB DDR4
    256GB NVME SSD - No HDD
    GTX 1050 2GB,
    I think this config will cost you around 700$. Trust me, you won't find a better bang for your buck, as most sub 800-900$ machines will have a bad build quality as well. They will be no different than this HP.

4GB theorically makes no difference in the 1050. Yes some games will not run at high settings if you don't have 4GB of VRAM, but why would you even max the graphics on a 1050? It's supposed to be a budget card, equal to the 965M from last year (runs cooler), you don't expect to run the latest games at High/Max. Most of the old games won't require more than 2Gigs.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

10. KING19

KING19 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Im surprised that any manufacturer are still using 2GBs GPUs, they're so obsolete and most of the latest games uses over 2gbs of memory because they use a lot of textures. Between the two GPUs there is a 30% difference, the 1050 is like a 965m and the 1050ti is like a 970m. I was going to suggest the new Dell inspiron 7567 but people who had it said it has some cooling problems