10% battery wear off the factory

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Sir Punk, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have just received a new 5540, I am posting here however as it seems a more common problem for XPS, and my battery wear is 10%, battery is a 97kwh but recharges only to 87kwh.

I have read the guide about completely discharging the battery and then do a full recharge. Is this a wise thing to do? I don't understand how they can sell a high capacity battery with 10% less capacity. I almost want to request a battery exchange.

What are people experiences with this.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  2. sumsum

sumsum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Same here. Ordered a new Dell genuine 97kwh battery for my 9550. wear level on arrival 10%.

No clue if this is by design or just coincidence.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Probably a design of the battery.

4. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Than I would say it's misleading to sell a 87kwh battery for something else. Most the laptops I have had came with 0-3% wear level at the most.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  5. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ... That is by design. The wear level of 10% is set in bios, you can set that to 0 if you want.

6. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Where exactly? Because I can't find it.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  7. sumsum

sumsum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually I didn't think enough about that statement, wear level is a property of a battery not a "setting", at most in the BIOS you can set the max % of charge.

That's the guide I was mentioning, but I would prefer an official answer from Dell.

9. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine, oh wonder, also came with 90% (~87 instead of 97). Every Dell laptop comes with a 10% configured wear level. Was it so hard to google about it?

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/A-brand-new-Dell-XPS-13-2-in-1-battery-wear-level-9/td-p/7445589

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...XPS-9560-shows-90-battery-health/td-p/5080292

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/8qjyki/does_anyones_xps_15_9570_have_a_battery_with/

[​IMG]
    You can set it to custom and then 100%, then the capacity should change over time. But why should you do that, that will just ruin the battery.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    pressing likes this.
  10. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    The wear level that these Dell laptops come with from the factory has absolutely no relation to the battery charge threshold. Setting the threshold to 100% will still only get 87Whr out of the battery. Setting it to 90% will get less than 87Whr. I know this from experience with my XPS 15 7590. It's just a scam that Dell runs, advertising 97Whr when they are really delivering 87Whr, since contacting their support results in a dead end. For these reasons and many others, I've since gotten rid of my XPS 15 7590 and went back to my X1C6.

Battery wear =/= charging threshold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.