1 hr to respond... Car...2002 chevy cavalier

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by aan310, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    2002 chevy cavalier Z24 5spd Red

"I am listing a 2002 red cavalier z24 in good shape. It just got new front and rear brakes incuding rotors, water pump, timing chain gears shoes and tensioner, runs and drives great. The car has 99,xxx miles on it. It also is a 5 speed."

[​IMG]

I just got off the phone with the guy. No mechanical or physical issues at all...
    Only selling because he got a new truck, and then work gave him a sedan, so the car wasn't needed.

He's 45 mins away and im going tomorrow morning, its either i buy it or i don't really...

The car is well under bluebook because he wants it gone tomorrow (im actually one of several appointments i guess)...

At $2,900 is this a good deal?

EDIT: Obviously i have to drive it and stuff, im just looking for your guys current opinions.

Also, all the new parts were just for a 100k tune up they were not *needing* replacement

2. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You sure it's not just "hot" - if you know what I mean? How "well under bluebook" is it?

3. Angelic

Angelic Kickin' back :3

Reputations:
    Look's like a good deal to me. I just hope it's not too good to be true.

4. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    Odd mileage. Usually its listed as exact or in a range. Just so happening to fall at 99,000 exact is odd.
    I hope you know that on an electrically controlled engine you can tamper with the mileage the digital reader will output. You can also do this on older vehicles.

Your in Wisconsin, so look for heavy rust buildup under the car, physically get down under neath it. If there is oil all over the transmission and engine than I would be suspicious. Also check under the carpeting in the trunk, that is usually the best area to look for body rust.

Have him start the engine and give you a ride to see if it is for you.

I cant emphasize it more, actually look for a vehicle you want, something you will be happy with, and set out to find it.
    Loving every car you see on craigslist or ebay isnt considered finding a car. Physically go out and find something you want. Dont just buy if its a good deal.

K-TRON

5. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's clean is myassumption, and if not, i'll know it (title and carfax)
    Thanks for the advise K ill be sure to get down and dirty to inspect it :)

And i actually hate half the cars i find there, a few i have looked at w/o posting, (this will be the 17th car i've driven from a private seller, countless dealer cars) and my sister has the 2000 of this car, so i already know i like how it drives and such.

As for well under bluebook, maybe that comment rubbed a few of oyu wrong, its like $700 below bluebook.

And miles are 99,xxx just to note, ill change that

EDIT: and don't worry about tampering with the mileage... I know how to do it, so it can't be to hard for others to :)
    (i also know how to spot it too, cep't on an electronic meter)

6. Nirvana

Nirvana Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Bring your sister's boyfriend.

7. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    unfortunatly, he is in FL...

BUT! I do have one of my dad's friends who is good with cars :)

(and my sisters BF showed me a bit of 'stuff' too)

8. Shyster1

Reputations:
    I dunno, Cavaliers were always cheap rides as far as I know, and I would be rather leery of one that's within spitting distance of 100k miles. I'd want to see maintenance logs/records showing that he took extremely good care of it before I'd seriously consider that much mileage on a Cavalier.

Also, with that kind of mileage the clutch is almost certainly nearing the end of its service life and will have to be replaced sooner rather than later - since you didn't mention it in your OP, I'm assuming the clutch has not been done yet.

If the clutch is still original, that alone could explain the $700 difference between what he's asking and blue book - in other words, he may have already factored in the cost of replacing the clutch in pricing the car; which is nice of him, but it'll still be hard on you if you have to drop a whole bunch more lettuce to replace the clutch in two or three months.

9. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, i took it for a spin and it pulled to the left quite a bit, so i'd need to be aligned.
    It was nice, but idk... im thinking on it

10. Shyster1

Reputations:
    Do yourself the world's biggest favor, and run - don't walk - away from that thing as quickly as you can (without being too impolite:D). A bum alignment is the least expensive reason for why it might be pulling hard to the left - every other reason is - well, put it this way, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

I hate to say it without having seen the car myself, but that thing just screams "moneypit" - even over the internet. For example, it could be a bent frame, which requires putting the entire body up on a giant rack that slowly stretches and compresses the frame back into some similacrum of the original shape - it'll never be completely true, however, and that means the geometry of the wheels and the drive-train will always be off.

Please, none of us could stand the sight of your soul being drained by a vampire-car, please just walk away from this one and start looking for the next one - it'll be by in a few days, at most.

EDIT: Here's a Car-Talk forum thread discussing the cons and bigger cons of trying to fix the frame on a 2005 Cavalier that was struck on the driver's side front wheel, thereby bending the frame - it ain't pretty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.