“How to buy a realiable refurbished fully rugged toughbook”

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ohlip, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shellback

Shellback Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As usual, you have some good information. Thank you and keep it up! :D

"When ohlip speaks.....Toughbook owners listen ! "

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    "My friend has always saying; Maybe you are already on your destination but this thing haven’t yet fixed any single satellite, Lol..."

or ... the automatic parachute that deploys on impact .

personally buying a used TB is like buying a used car ...
    the first thing to remember is "caveat emptor" ... it is also the second thing .
    if you know about cars and things mechanical and automotive electronics , then you are going to be a lot safer than the person that does not know a corvette from a henweigh .
    if you are a neophyte , have someone that is hip help you out ... it never hurts to ask someone with experience .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  3. Almstprfct1

Almstprfct1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is a very good guide!...I'll add my two cents worth...

1. Seller does not list hours or worse yet the show a picture of the bios and photo shops out the hours!

2. Seller will install Ubuntu or the like or tell you that you have to install the drivers yourself. Believe me with the newer machines this can be up to 50 different drivers and applications that have to be installed in a certain order and manner. This can take most of an evening even IF you know what you are doing.. but when you can get a copy of the discs for $35 from Heartland by TOMORROW!!! it comes across as cheap and also misleading. Toughbooks run best on the OS from restore discs.

3.Painted or bed-linered machines, ie...the "Black Ops Commando Edition"...The paint/bed-liner IS going to chip and wear off. Exceptions are perhaps if they are stripped and then powder coated. Still though you have to break a seal on the machine to do it. I do give a two year "repair,replace or refund" warranty on all my machines, but still take Panasonics lead and void all warranties if the seal has been broken and damage occurs.
    Now that being said there are Oem Black Toughbooks. These are primarily Canadian Models and were special ordered by the RCMP...my understanding is you have to order at least fifty to get them in black. (I have some MK5 CF-31's now that are Oem black and some black MK3 CF-19's) Someone here had a black CF-30 a few years back too. It's a great look for a Toughbook and I still have some mint condition black CF-28 MK1's. I even took a 1 gig/1 gig MK3 Board and put it in a Black MK1 body!
    You can also get some "Let's Note" machines from Japan in some beautiful colors! I had a candy apple red CF-S10 and a CF-F10 that was silver!

4. Mis categorization. Watch out for machines listed as "Manufactured Refurbished" a lot of these are just refurbished by a certified Microsoft Refurbisher...Also if it has 10 hours on it it is USED...not "New Other"

5. Warranty, as mentioned "Free Customer Support" is usually worth exactly what you paid for it. There are some very knowledgeable and reputable sellers but in my experience only 20 or so independent sellers I would recommend. That being said all Toughbooks have at least a 3 year warranty that starts from date of manufacture (unless you purchase from an "Authorized Panasonic Reseller") The serial number will tell you this...the first number is the year and the next letter is the month. 6B=2016/February

6. Is the deal too good to be true? I have learned the hard way to be sure and call 1 800 Laptop5 and check to see if a machine is stolen. There are two list, be sure and have them check both. Still, this last year a guy kept putting up Mark 2 CF-C2's NIB really cheap...Cheaper than mine I had listed and I kept buying them so it wouldn't undercut my sales. I called and was told they were NOT stolen as far as they knew (not reported) Then I got a call from a detective in Alabama saying the guy had been hired to retro fit the machines with wwan cards and instead just sold them on eBay! Fortunately I still had all of the machines and PayPal of course refunded my money and the owner got their machines back :)

7. Now the word "Rare" when the machine didn't even come the way it is advertised! The only thing rare is if these sellers actually tell you the truth! As mentioned before there are some truly rare machines and I must admit I have a slight addiction to buying them... :)

8. Finally, a tire on the lid. Especially on a CF-19??? ;-) lol some of you will get this...

OK Rant over! My best advice is to stick to a new or near new Toughbook and you will be glad you did! It may cost a bit more but it is really worth it in the long run, Travis

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2016
    Kent T and ohlip like this.
  4. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Actually I have a few messages from a buyer who bought these type of machine(powder coated) from those seller that after a few months of used they have noticed that it started some problem with the LCD screen and after opening it. They found that moisture penetrated inside the LCD.

Your right! the rubber seal that sorounded the LID panel has been compromised.

ohlip

Kent T likes this.
  5. CWB32

Reputations:
    soooo ...
    the guys that baked the powder coat did not remove that reaaaallly long "O-ring" before sticking it in the oven ?
    yessir ... now there's some darwin award material ... if they haven't procreated yet .
    :eek2::wacko:

Kent T likes this.
  6. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    It's a high temp o ring.:biglaugh:

7. CWB32

Reputations:
    heh ...

8. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Prolly coz they are expert and professional, lol....

ohlip

9. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Added some points courtesy of Almstprfct1

ohlip

10. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    updated again.

ohlip

Thread Status: