‘Somewhat’ thin laptop with best thermal performance?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Battlebared, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Battlebared

Battlebared Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all! I’m about to head to university and I need a portable machine. However, I’m planning to still play quite a few intensive games and I have been spoilt by a ludicrously powerful PC... Right now I’m looking into a new razer blade or asus strix scar 3, though any other suggestion is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    gs65 2060 version

msi gs65 thin with the 2060 is what your looking for

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Really only applicable with modifications to the laptop to include thermal pads and liquid metal, otherwise it's just as crap as the rest. HID and GenTech do sell GS65s with those mods if OP doesn't have the time/ability to do them themselves (for a bit more money).

That said, I should probably point out that OP's original options are pretty crap.

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    like any laptop you can upgrade ram and storage....bga crap is all we have nowadays.....that said mid as well go for something thin light and good battery life that packs a punch

5. RhyStar

RhyStar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don’t know what your budget is but I picked up the Lenovo Legion Y540 and it is pretty good.

See my other post with specs.

I was looking at a Razer Blade too, but they are much more expensive. I think a mid range laptop that can play games, cost half as much, and work well can be replaced more often as technology and price changes.

Good luck,
    R

6. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Either the Lenovo Legion Y740 or the HP Omen 17 i9 2019. Both are great choices. The HP Omen is the slimmest full powered rtx 2080 laptop out there, that doesn’t throttle the gpu lol...

Fan noise on load is slightly louder than the legion but the legion is max-q which is bad in comparison to say the least. The full rtx 2080 laptop can reach aw 51m levels if the gpu core and memory are overclocked.

As I have the HP Omen here are some temps:

The GPU reaches 80-83c max on stock thermal paste. Lapped and LM’d 75c-79c. The laptop has 3 and a half heat pipes for the gpu hence the decent temps.

The CPU reaches 90+c, will need major undervolting on stock thermal paste. On LM and with a high under volt of -130v the heat sink can JUST ABOUT handle the 8 core 16 thread beast at boost clocks reaching i9 9900 (non k) speeds whilst staying at around 88c to 90c, just below throttling temps whilst rendering or using conebench. hp cut it too close here, they needed just one more heat pipe on this cpu, it does consume 90w which is insane!

Remember this is in a laptop that is 27mm thin, it’s slightly heafty in weight though, psu and laptop combined is roughly 5kg!!!

Drawbacks:

The laptop has a ridiculously huge power supply and thick charging cable to go with it, it is 330w but is half the size of the laptop in the size of a flat square (why HP, what was the point?)

You want desktop like performance, then the 9880h and rtx 2080 spec of the omen is the way to go. Fairly cheap too compared to others that offer the SAME spec (ahem AlienTRASH).

Basically what I’m saying is, if you need super saiyan performance for a laptop there are going to be trade offs, luckily for me my work is gpu orientated (gaming lol) so the CPU is unrelated. Also I forgot to mention the CPU only reaches those temps when the gpu is fully taxed at 160w otherwise the CPU will stay around 70-80c. It’s the damn connecting heat pipe that messes everything up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2019
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    >Omen doesn't throttle

Oh really now? HP finally fixed their consumer-class abysmal cooling issues?

The problem with taking temperatures and saying "no throttle" is that the entire point of (thermal) throttling is that it purposefully retards the performance of the machine in order to bring temperatures back to a reasonable level so as not to wreck the laptop. Could you run something that actually measures throttling, perhaps a combined AIDA64 + Heaven stress (100% CPU and GPU stress, AIDA64 will show throttling if it happens)?

8. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No worries mate, I’ll do that when I’m back from uni.

To be honest I expect some throttling from bga class notebooks, it’s the trade off I’m willing to take, otherwise I’d go full Clevo with customisations...