Quantcast X1 Carbon - Create Recovery Media

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default X1 Carbon - Create Recovery Media

    So, I have a new X1 Carbon, I intend to run Linux, I don't expect to be putting windows back on but in the case that I do, or want to resell it I would like to create re-install media.

    I am wondering if anyone has used the ThinkVantage Tools -> Factory Recovery Disks to generate USB keys that could be used to re-install a clean set of software on the machine?

    I see that the hidden partition is about 14Gb in size but I have no idea, and cannot see any information anywhere, on what size of USB drive I would need to create both boot and data media using the tool.

    Has anyone done this?

    Also, does anyone know if there is a way of just getting re-install media from Lenovo in emergencies? i.e. I might just wipe the machine and if I ever do decide to re-install windows on it go to them and pay for media.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,001
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: X1 Carbon - Create Recovery Media

    I have seen mixed reports on the use of USB sticks versus DVD media when building the recovery disk set, AND actually using it for a restore.

  3. #3
    Notebook Geek
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: X1 Carbon - Create Recovery Media

    Quote Originally Posted by wormboyslim View Post
    So, I have a new X1 Carbon, I intend to run Linux, I don't expect to be putting windows back on but in the case that I do, or want to resell it I would like to create re-install media.

    I am wondering if anyone has used the ThinkVantage Tools -> Factory Recovery Disks to generate USB keys that could be used to re-install a clean set of software on the machine?

    I see that the hidden partition is about 14Gb in size but I have no idea, and cannot see any information anywhere, on what size of USB drive I would need to create both boot and data media using the tool.

    Has anyone done this?

    Also, does anyone know if there is a way of just getting re-install media from Lenovo in emergencies? i.e. I might just wipe the machine and if I ever do decide to re-install windows on it go to them and pay for media.

    Thanks in advance.
    Boot into a linux environment (like the Ubuntu Live CD, for example) from a usb stick, and plug a second usb stick or usb hard drive into the other usb port. Then image the hard drive with dd:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > /mnt/usb/hda.img.gz
    where /dev/sda is the internal hard drive device, and /mnt/usb is the path where you have mounted the second usb drive.

    This compresses the image on the fly; the compressed image should work out to be around 24GB or so. If you ever need to restore for any reason a single dd operation (again run from a usb-booted linux operation) will allow you to restore an exact copy of the disk (including all weird Lenovo partitions).

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: X1 Carbon - Create Recovery Media

    Quote Originally Posted by vanagon View Post
    Boot into a linux environment (like the Ubuntu Live CD, for example) from a usb stick, and plug a second usb stick or usb hard drive into the other usb port. Then image the hard drive with dd:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > /mnt/usb/hda.img.gz
    where /dev/sda is the internal hard drive device, and /mnt/usb is the path where you have mounted the second usb drive.

    This compresses the image on the fly; the compressed image should work out to be around 24GB or so. If you ever need to restore for any reason a single dd operation (again run from a usb-booted linux operation) will allow you to restore an exact copy of the disk (including all weird Lenovo partitions).
    Thanks for that, I saw this suggestion already.

    I am still wondering if anyone has used Lenovo's tool though, and if so, what their experience was.

    I may end up just doing this though, thing is I have already played a bit on the windows partition so it would not be an absolutely clean install if I wanted to re-sell the machine.

  5. #5
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    YYZ
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: X1 Carbon - Create Recovery Media

    Quote Originally Posted by wormboyslim View Post
    Thanks for that, I saw this suggestion already.

    I am still wondering if anyone has used Lenovo's tool though, and if so, what their experience was.

    I may end up just doing this though, thing is I have already played a bit on the windows partition so it would not be an absolutely clean install if I wanted to re-sell the machine.
    You could always do a factory recover before grabbing the partitions.

    I've created restoration DVD materials on prior Thinkpads and the process has worked well (in the past).
    lenovo X1 Carbon | i7-3667U | Win8 Pro x64 | 14" HD+ | Intel HD 4000 | 8GB RAM | SanDisk 256GB SSD | Advanced-N 62055 AGN | WWAN | UltraNav+Fingerprint Reader
    lenovo T410s | i5-520M | Win7 Ult x64 | 14.1" WXGA+ | Intel 5700MHD | 8GB RAM | Intel 160GB SSD | Ultimate-N 6300 AGN | WWAN | UltraNav+Fingerprint Reader

  6. #6
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,001
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: X1 Carbon - Create Recovery Media

    Quote Originally Posted by wormboyslim View Post
    I am still wondering if anyone has used Lenovo's tool though, and if so, what their experience was.
    I have never seen the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery disk set fail on DVD media. Burning 4 DVD's and throwing them in a cabinet until you re-sell the machine is probably the cheapest route. Beats saving a USB stick in my opinion.

    And FYI, after I create the DVD's, I turn around and create .ISO's of the DVD's and stick them in my archive.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: X1 Carbon - Create Recovery Media

    Quote Originally Posted by s0dhi View Post
    You could always do a factory recover before grabbing the partitions.

    I've created restoration DVD materials on prior Thinkpads and the process has worked well (in the past).
    That may be the way to go, but of course I don't have the ability to burn DVDs and no-one seems to know how large a USB key needs to be to fit the data recovery media that it talks about.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: X1 Carbon - Create Recovery Media

    Quote Originally Posted by Thors.Hammer View Post
    I have never seen the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery disk set fail on DVD media. Burning 4 DVD's and throwing them in a cabinet until you re-sell the machine is probably the cheapest route. Beats saving a USB stick in my opinion.

    And FYI, after I create the DVD's, I turn around and create .ISO's of the DVD's and stick them in my archive.
    Ah, yes, if I had an external DVD burner then I would probably have already done this

  9. #9
    Notebook Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,547
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: X1 Carbon - Create Recovery Media

    Ask Lenovo to send you a set. You know how. Forget about USB and DVDs and size and external burner and whatnots.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Sony VAIO TX Ultraportable Review (pics, specs)
    By srdhkl in forum Notebook News and Reviews
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12th November 2006, 12:05 PM
  2. Asus W3V Notebook Review (pics, specs)
    By joshuang in forum Notebook News and Reviews
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 19th November 2005, 03:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1