Quantcast Undervolting the Thinkpad X120e - Page 13

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Undervolting the Thinkpad X120e

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
    Those are great results! Glad it's worked out for you

As a note, though, since I notice you dual-boot Ubuntu, the undervolt values used by RW-Everything obviously won't carry over to your Ubuntu install. That said, there is a way to apply the lower voltages in Ubuntu as well--I believe it is covered in the SPCR thread I mentioned in my first post (there's someone using Ubuntu on his dm1z in that thread).
    Funny you brought that up, yes I went through that thread yesterday and (through a couple hours of figuring things out) have my undervolts in Linux too, where the fans turn off even more often I would hate for anyone to have to do all the digging I did to figure out undervolting the E-350 in Linux, so I've written a draft of a newb friendly guide to undervolting in Linux, applying those undervolts at startup, and applying them on resume from sleep or hibernate. which I can post here if people want

Only one Q: in a new thread or in here?
    Desktop: GA-MA74GM-S2H|Athlon X2 4200+ AM2|HD 3650|2GB DDR2|200GB HDD|Windows Vista Basic 32
    Laptop: Samsung 15" Chronos 2013|Intel i7-3635QM|8GB DDR3-1600 RAM|256GB SSD|Windows 8 64-bit
    ---
    Links: Mobile CPU Reference|Mobile GPU Reference

Emodicon

Quote Originally Posted by Metroid_III View Post
    Funny you brought that up, yes I went through that thread yesterday and (through a couple hours of figuring things out) have my undervolts in Linux too, where the fans turn off even more often I would hate for anyone to have to do all the digging I did to figure out undervolting the E-350 in Linux, so I've written a draft of a newb friendly guide to undervolting in Linux, applying those undervolts at startup, and applying them on resume from sleep or hibernate. which I can post here if people want

Only one Q: in a new thread or in here?
    Sounds great, glad that worked out for you! You can create a new thread in this subforum, perhaps "Undervolting the Thinkpad X120e in Linux," and I can link to it in my original posts.

Notebook Consultant

Alright everyone, the thread is up
    Desktop: GA-MA74GM-S2H|Athlon X2 4200+ AM2|HD 3650|2GB DDR2|200GB HDD|Windows Vista Basic 32
    Laptop: Samsung 15" Chronos 2013|Intel i7-3635QM|8GB DDR3-1600 RAM|256GB SSD|Windows 8 64-bit
    ---
    Links: Mobile CPU Reference|Mobile GPU Reference

Just wanted to register and say thanks for this guide, very helpful.

Also figured I'd go ahead and throw my results into the mix as well since I found other users results very helpful when undervolting.

P0: 1600MHz @ 1.175V
    P1: 1280MHz @ 1.050V
    P2: 800MHz @ 0.825V

Also, does this technique undervolt the GPU portion of the E-350, or does it only affect the CPU portion? If the latter, would it also be possible to undervolt the GPU in this way?

edit: Found a GUI utility that appears to support both CPU and GPU/NB undervolting, it's called BrazosTweaker. Haven't really messed around with it yet, but looks promising.
    Last edited by frostedflakes; 16th August 2011 at 04:28 AM.

Notebook Evangelist

Would BrazosTweaker be a better tool than what was used originally for Overclock/Undervolt? It seems like a better user interface than rweverything, but is it more powerful?

Make your AMD Fusion laptop quieter or faster with BrazosTweaker - Liliputing

Lenovo Thinkpad X220

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudorandom View Post
    Would BrazosTweaker be a better tool than what was used originally for Overclock/Undervolt? It seems like a better user interface than rweverything, but is it more powerful?

Make your AMD Fusion laptop quieter or faster with BrazosTweaker - Liliputing
    Looks like it has undervolt options for the northbridge, which I assume is the GPU side of things. That could be handy, and people had some trouble getting those settings to 'stick' with rw-everything.

Have you tried it out yet? If anything the interface is MUCH nicer than manually writing to a bunch of registers.

Undervolting the northbridge works at least for the s205, but not with the x120e. That's what i from reading the threads in german forums where the author supports his tool.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unrel2k View Post
    Undervolting the northbridge works at least for the s205, but not with the x120e. That's what i from reading the threads in german forums where the author supports his tool.
    Tested out that tool and saw the same behavior - can't get NB values to stick.

I just wanted to ask about the NB part of Brazostweaker myself... Since I own a Wind U270 and not a x120e, I'll try this out and post the results here.

Btw, here are my CPU undervolt settings :
    P0 : 1.125
    P1 : 0.975
    P2 : 0.7875

I just have to found a way to apply this on my linux partition now^^.

Also, too bad there's no way yet to overclock this netbook, I'm sure I could get very good results with it ...

Notebook Guru

Also, too bad there's no way yet to overclock this netbook, I'm sure I could get very good results with it ...
    Most overclocking results on the E-350 platform are pretty mediocre. I don't think you're missing out on much.