Quantcast Where are Sony laptops made these days?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Die
    Notebook Consultant

Default Where are Sony laptops made these days?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are they mostly now made in China and other parts of Asia/USA/Mexico, or do they still mostly make them in Japan? My VAIO Desktop from '04 was made in the USA with its parts/peripherals mostly made in China. I was wondering if it's extremely rare to still come across a "Made in Japan" laptop?

I'm going shopping for a laptop this season and one of my primary points of interests is searching for a "Made in... X country" type of notice somewhere on the packaging before I decide to buy one at a store.

Is there any way I can check to see where a laptop was made, on the box itself, before I buy it in a store, or will it not usually tell you that information anywhere outside of the box/stickers on it, and you won't be able to know unless you actually open it up/buy it?

Thanks.

super modfu

Default Re: Where are Sony laptops made these days?

"made" is a very broad question...

are you asking...

1. where the motherboard was "made" ?
    2. where the HD was "made" ?
    3. where the LCD was "made" ?
    4. where the _________ was "made" ?
    5. where the one million and one parts that were made in multiple countries were assembled ?

Notebook Retailer

Sony does have a VAIO mnfr'ing plant is San Diego, CA now, where they do all the CTO's and qualify for "Made In USA" status. The non-CTO's state "Made in Japan" and a few of the AR Series state "Made in China".

Hope this helps.

Notebook Consultant

You can always check the bottom of the laptop to see where it is made in (a correct term is probably where it was *last* assembled in).

As far as I know, the TX, UX, and premium SZ series are all made in Japan. The FS was made in China, and the CTOs are made in USA. Some models (FJ?) that are made in China become made in Japan if you ordered and CTO'ed in Japan.

This is based on the label on the bottom of the laptop, not specifically the components.

I don't know about the other series.

Notebook Geek

Custom made FEs are made in USA
    The battery is made in Japan

but if u get one from the store..lets say Best Buy...then it is made in china

Die
    Notebook Consultant

OK: On the box of a notebook (the outer packaging containing the notebook) does it tell you what country it was made in somewhere? Becuase I plan to go to Best Buy/Circuit city and ask to look before I buy a notebook... I know my old VAIO PC had a label saying it was made in USA with parts made in other countries on the outer box itself. I just wanted to make sure if this was the case with notebook box packaging for Sony Vaio notebooks, before I make a fool of myself or something.

Also yes, I realize that most of the parts are probably made in other countries...and it's just "assembled" in the country that they name on the laptop...but I'd just like to get one that's made in Japan..guess I'm picky.

Notebook Geek

My Futijsu was actually made in Japan. The third week I received it (shipped from Japan) one of the keys was broken; one and half year after, the screen went dark. Guess "made in japan" no longer means the same thing as it did 10 years ago.

Notebook Geek

Buy from Sonystyle in order to get Made in USA

If you buy from Best buy, etc....then it is made in China and u dont want that!

Slobbers on subnotebooks

Quote Originally Posted by soccy View Post
    My Futijsu was actually made in Japan. The third week I received it (shipped from Japan) one of the keys was broken; one and half year after, the screen went dark. Guess "made in japan" no longer means the same thing as it did 10 years ago.
    Yes, I absolutely agree, my Lifebook P5020D was made mediocre, very flimsy and made in Japan as well.
    Steam: nerdydesi

HP DV6-6910US

Notebook Deity

My fujitsu lifebook also made in Japan.

SZ360 said its made it Japan on the back.
    Sony SZ360PC + Corsair a.k.a Samsung 128GB SSD + WinXP
    Sony TZ91 + Samsung 48GB SSD + 160GB + WinXP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast