Quantcast Sony VAIO VGN-SZ260P Battery not recognized by computer - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Moderately inquisitive

Default Re: Sony VAIO VGN-SZ260P Battery not recognized by computer

It seems that you have a problem similar to the one discussed in this thread. However, I don't know if it is a hardware problem or a software problem.

John

Hi - I'm having a somewhat similar problem to the one originally listed in this thread. I have had my Sony VAIO SZ260P for two years now and it has been working completely fine. During the last year, I didn't need to use it on the road as much so I left it plugged in for most of the day, but I periodically would unplug it and run the battery to make sure it still worked. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that when I did this, the laptop stopped working completely. Upon plugging it into power, it booted up as normal, but now when I go to check the power meter, the message indicates that the battery is "not present". Does anyone have any advice on what this might mean? Is the battery just dead or is it more of a problem with the motherboard?

Zapherix, I'm having the exact same problem with my battery not being recognized. I am very frustrated (have a VGN-SZ240). Did you figure out how to fix it? Can anyone please help?! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zapherix View Post
    Upon plugging it into power, it booted up as normal, but now when I go to check the power meter, the message indicates that the battery is "not present". Does anyone have any advice on what this might mean? Is the battery just dead or is it more of a problem with the motherboard?
    I know, this is an old thread but maybe someone will find my story useful...
    I had the very same problem as described above. But I was lucky enough, that it had happened one month before my warranty ran out. The battery was replaced after a nice talk on the help line and so far is so good... 29 month old VAIO SZ260P... :-)
    So I guess that in most cases it would be the battery itself making the problems.

Notebook Consultant

hi. i ran into this issue a couple months back when i upgraded my sz440 to 64bit OS. you have to follow the order of sony utilities so you dont run into this issue of "battery not recognized, push ok to go to standby." this is a great notebook, you shouldnt have problems w/ it. ive had mine for about 2 yrs and no issues!
    Last edited by dz2k; 11th May 2009 at 06:55 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

even though this topic is old i want to stress the importance of buying genuine sony batteries. buying generic brand will cause these problems of battery not being recognized.

Notebook Guru

Also greasy fingers touching the contacts may cause the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gresiek View Post
    I know, this is an old thread but maybe someone will find my story useful...
    I had the very same problem as described above. But I was lucky enough, that it had happened one month before my warranty ran out. The battery was replaced after a nice talk on the help line and so far is so good... 29 month old VAIO SZ260P... :-)
    So I guess that in most cases it would be the battery itself making the problems.
    I have the same problem as described above. After 3 years, my battery suddenly stopped being recognized. The power manager states that a battery is "Not Present". I have the standard battery that came with it and the extended battery. I used the extended battery since day 1 and the standard battery was simply in storage. When the extended battery failed to work anymore, I tried using the standard battery but was unsuccessful.

My theory is there is a problem with the motherboard connection. I don't think it's a battery issue since I have two genuine sony batteries and neither worked. It would be nice if it were just the battery and I could just replace it. I am obviously past warranty, and I never got the extended warranty so I am at a loss as to what to do. It works fine on AC, but the convenience of battery power is something I miss.

I looked up sony support for the cost of repair and it starts at about $250 and increases rapidly based on what needs (or what they think) to be done. Battery issues aside, my cooling fan has since ceased to work. But that's a different thread I suppose.

If anybody's got any clues on how to fix this battery problem without sending it in to sony, it'd be MUCH appreciated!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12