Quantcast Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

    Or so I think. Under load, the temperature for the entire chassis unit rises to 62 or 63 degrees celsius. Normal operating temperature not under load is barely into the 40s. I do have a "raiser platform" to allow the fan access to fresh air.

    My question is whether I am doing damage to my Vaio by running it in the 60s?

    Thank you in advance!

    i3-2370
    4 gigs RAM
    15.7" screen
    HD graphics 3000

  2. #2
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

    100+ views and not a single person has any input??

  3. #3
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lacey, WA
    Posts
    1,109
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

    You are also "hot" just like your laptop.
    In just few hours and you want people have to have an answer for you?
    If you think it's hot and afraid damages to the laptop, bring back to where you bought it to get an exchange or return it.
    You may also have a chance to test others to see if they are hot like yours.
    UX390N w/U7700
    SVD11 Core i7/8/256
    SVE14 Core i7/8/256
    XPERIA Tablet Z
    XPERIA Z1s
    XPERIA TL

  4. #4
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

    Quote Originally Posted by ngvuanh View Post
    You are also "hot" just like your laptop.
    In just few hours and you want people have to have an answer for you?
    If you think it's hot and afraid damages to the laptop, bring back to where you bought it to get an exchange or return it.
    You may also have a chance to test others to see if they are hot like yours.
    Why bother looking at a thread only to not reply? It's not as though it's a particularly difficult question, particularly for you masterminds.

    Before I do something as crazy as returning it to the vendor, I figured you fine folks would know something!

  5. #5
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,328
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

    62C is not hot at all. you're worrying too much.
    SONY VAIO VPC-SA290X | i5-2520m | Radeon HD 6630m | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB Crucial M4 | 13.3" 1600x900 | USB 3.0

    [HOW TO]
    recover bundled applications (Adobe suite, PowerDVD, etc.) from SONY's hidden recovery partition
    clone HDD to SSD with Symantec Ghost

  6. #6
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

    Quote Originally Posted by darxide_sorcerer View Post
    62C is not hot at all. you're worrying too much.
    Thank you! At what point SHOULD I worry? 80?

  7. #7
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,328
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

    even 80C is okay, but if it gets there, then you should start monitoring it. i play Battlefield 3, and it gets up to 85C on my laptop (which is still okay, by the way). these chips are designed to throttle or shutdown once they reach their critical temperatures (which is at or around 95C-100C).
    SONY VAIO VPC-SA290X | i5-2520m | Radeon HD 6630m | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB Crucial M4 | 13.3" 1600x900 | USB 3.0

    [HOW TO]
    recover bundled applications (Adobe suite, PowerDVD, etc.) from SONY's hidden recovery partition
    clone HDD to SSD with Symantec Ghost

  8. #8
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

    Quote Originally Posted by darxide_sorcerer View Post
    even 80C is okay, but if it gets there, then you should start monitoring it. i play Battlefield 3, and it gets up to 85C on my laptop (which is still okay, by the way). these chips are designed to throttle or shutdown once they reach their critical temperatures (which is at or around 95C-100C).
    That is very good news! Thank you I am thinking that on my desktop, the i3 processor has a stated maximum temperature of 69.1* C, so I was figuring it'd be somewhere around there for the mobile version as well.

    LAST question... is there any upgrade I can make to the GPU on this E series laptop or am I stuck with the HD 3000 integrated stuff?

    Thank you

  9. #9
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,328
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

    ^ that i don't know, tbh. if it doesn't come with a discreet GPU already, then i'm afraid you can't do anything about it, unless you go with an external GPU solution (i.e., using a desktop GPU, connected to the laptop through express card).
    SONY VAIO VPC-SA290X | i5-2520m | Radeon HD 6630m | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB Crucial M4 | 13.3" 1600x900 | USB 3.0

    [HOW TO]
    recover bundled applications (Adobe suite, PowerDVD, etc.) from SONY's hidden recovery partition
    clone HDD to SSD with Symantec Ghost

  10. #10
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Very new Sony Vaio SVE15112 running hot...

    Quote Originally Posted by darxide_sorcerer View Post
    ^ that i don't know, tbh. if it doesn't come with a discreet GPU already, then i'm afraid you can't do anything about it, unless you go with an external GPU solution (i.e., using a desktop GPU, connected to the laptop through express card).
    Ah, so because it doesn't have an ATi mobility card (or something along those lines), I am out of luck?

    I have seen the Village Instruments external adapter. That is an interesting solution... But the price is rather prohibitive! When you mention a desktop GPU connected to the laptop through an express card, I assume you mean something similar to the VI device, or is it something completely different?

    Thanks for all of your help!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1